In The Blink Of An Eye (Fluff)

*POTENTIAL TRIGGER WARNING*

Y/N POV:

"Ughh, why do we never have any food in this house?" I groan, as I stare into the extremely bare fridge. A single carrot and a pot of pasta sauce doesn't exactly excite my taste buds.

"Let's order something and then we can go grocery shopping another day" Brendon says, patting next to him on the sofa, signalling for me to sit by him.

"We've had takeout all week, I can go to the store now, it shouldn't be too busy" I say, closing the fridge, beginning to make a mental note of everything I need to buy.

"It'll be getting dark soon, I'd rather you waited until tomorrow, one more takeout isn't going to hurt" He says, willing me with his eyes to sit down.

"Nope, if I don't go now, I never will. We haven't seen a vegetable in God knows how long. I won't be long, you want anything?" I ask, putting my coat on.

"Some more beer please, text me when you get there" He says. I quickly go over to him and give him a quick kiss on the cheek. 

"I will, see ya" I say, closing the door behind me.

As I make my way to the grocery store, I pass barely any cars. The roads are eerily quiet, way too quiet for a Friday night in Los Angeles. I blast the radio, singing along at the top of my lungs. As I look in my rear view mirror I notice a car, lights on full, racing up behind me. I'm too busy looking at the lunatic behind me that I don't notice the junction ahead of me.

Brendon's POV:

"Mr Urie?" The officer says as I open the door. He removes his hat and that's when I instantly know that something is horribly wrong.

"Yeah" I say, my voice shaky. Tears immediately fill my eyes and I blink furiously, willing for them not to run down my face, not yet.

"I'm afraid your wife has been involved in a serious collision. She's been airlifted to hospital, if you'd like to come with us please" The officer says, his face riddled with sympathy. I quickly grab my phone and keys, shakily locking up the house behind me. I get into the back of the police car and sit, staring out of the window the whole way to the hospital. In my head, I play out so many different scenarios and as much as I try, I can't get any of them to end happily.

"Hello Sir, I'm Doctor Edwards. We have taken your wife into emergency surgery, she is in an extremely critical condition" He says and I try so hard to focus on what he's saying when all I want to do is drop to the floor and cry.

"She will make it though, won't she? She has to make it" I say, raising my voice, tears streaming down my face. A nurse comes running over and grabs hold of me just as my knees give way. She tells me that they have the very best team working on Y/N and when she's ready for visitors, they'll let me know. Then, she leads me to a quiet area and gets me a coffee with plenty of sugar. 

"I told her to wait. I told her to wait until tomorrow, when it would be light. I should have stopped her" I weep, burying my face in my hands. The nurse rubs my back gently and sits patiently as I cry hysterically.

"Mr Urie? She's out of surgery now and is being taken to the ICU. We need to monitor her extremely closely, the next 24 hours and critical. If you want, you can sit with her. But I must warn you, she has a lot of tubes and IV lines. If you're ready, would you like to follow me" Dr Edwards says, hovering in the doorway. I try my best to wipe the tears that are still running down my face. I give the Nurse a grateful smile and then I follow Dr Edwards in the direction of the ICU.

As I step into her room, I take a deep breath as I take in the sight. He was right, she has so many IV lines running into her and she's covered in scrapes from the accident. I take a seat next to her, placing my hand on hers very gently. For some reason, I expect her to react to my touch but of course, she doesn't. I watch her chest rising and falling as the sound of monitors fill the room.

"I told you to wait. I should have stopped you, I'm so sorry" I whisper, rubbing her hand with my thumb.

I sit with her for a while and strangely, the sound of the monitors steadily beeping becomes quite comforting. It means she's alive, which means she has a chance.

*A Few Hours Later*

"Hey man, I brought you a change of clothes and something to eat. You may not feel hungry, but you need to keep your strength up" Zack says, dragging a chair in from another room. He sits next to me and wraps an arm around me. For him, this is a strong gesture. I allow myself to cry again and he brings me in for a proper hug.

"Whatever happens, I'm here, okay? You're not alone" He says, his voice soothing.

Just then, the monitors begin to beep more erratically and a team of Doctors and Nurses rush in, worried looks on their faces.

"I'm afraid you two are going to have to wait outside" A friendly looking Nurse says, opening the door for us. As we step outside, she closes the blinds so that I can't look in. 

I begin pacing the corridor anxiously, an overwhelming sense of dread consuming me. Minutes feel like hours and more and more people rush into the room. 

After what feels like eternity, they begin to file out one by one, sullen looks on their faces. Dr Edwards walks out, removing his gloves. He looks at me and just by the look on his face alone, I know. 

"We did everything we could. She had catastrophic internal injuries. I am very sorry for your loss" He says, placing his hand on my shoulder. I fight the urge to shrug him off, to tell him to go back in and save her. Instead, I lower my head and don't respond to him. Eventually, he walks away and another Nurse nods at me, letting me know it's okay to come in the room. 

My breath catches in my throat as I look at Y/N. She looks so peaceful, almost as if she's sleeping. 

"I'll give you a few minutes with her" The Nurse says, rubbing my arm before heading out the room, closing the door softly behind her. 

"This can't be real. You can't really be gone. I love you, more than words can describe, Y/N. I always have and I always will. You were my best friend and my soul mate. I'm sorry I couldn't save you. I'm just so sorry" My voice cracks at the last few words and I break down all over again. Zack comes into the room, putting his arm around me. He lets me cry for a few minutes before taking me out of the room. 

I sign off some paperwork that the Dr hands me. I don't really take in what it is, but after it's done he tells me that I'm free to go and someone will contact me in regards to funeral arrangements. The word funeral hits me hard. How can I be arranging her funeral when I was only talking to her mere hours ago?

It takes me a while to work up the strength to go home. It feels wrong going home, our home, without her. Nothing will ever be the same again.

Wow, okay. That got emotional real quick but it seems I can only write emotional stuff right now.