I Can't Thank You Enough (Fluff)

Y/N POV:

"We're going to need you to stay on a bit longer, you'll be paid for it of course. Our client is running late and it's important we have this meeting today" My boss explains and I resist the urge to let out a groan. Glancing out the window, I can see that the sky is already growing dark and I curse my decision to walk to work. I don't live far away, but I have to walk down a lot of streets that aren't well lit, so it always sets me on edge. 

"That's fine, let me know when you're ready for me" I reply, busying myself with some work on my computer. God, I really need to get a better job. Preferably one with set hours.

*2 Hours Later*

Freedom, finally. By now the sky is pitch black, with a small scattering of stars. Collecting my bag, I make my way out of the building and steel myself ready for the walk home. Usually I would walk home with my colleague, Emma, but she's on vacation so it's just me, myself and I. 

I walk at a quicker pace than usual, using the promise of a nice warm house as motivation. Soon, the well-lit streets are just a distant memory and I begin the scariest part of the route. It's eerily quiet, too quiet. There's not even cars driving past, everyone's already safely in their warm houses. The only sound I can hear is the sound of my shoes tapping against the sidewalk and the sound of my breathing. I try not to overthink the situation but I can't shake the feeling that somebody's watching me. I pause for a moment, pretending to look on my phone. I do a 360 turn, but there's nobody around. I carry on walking but the feeling grows stronger and makes me feel even more uneasy. 

As I round the corner, I curse under my breath. I forgot about the alley I'd have to walk down. Before I enter it, I take a deep breath and pick up my pace, almost to a jog. Phew, made it. I slow my pace down a little bit, now that I'm nearer to a main road. 

I feel a tug at my bag and suddenly, I'm slammed against a wall. A figure, dressed in all black, is playing tug of war with me, desperately trying to take my bag.

"HELP! SOMEONE HELP ME!" I scream, but I'm not filled with much hope. I haven't seen a single person since I left work, well, until now.

"Give it to me, you bitch" The person growls, their voice deep and menacing. They reach their arms out, shoving me against the wall once more and my knees buckle, a surge of pain shooting up my body. My grip loosens on my bag and they take the opportunity to grab it, before making a swift getaway. 

I let out a yell, partly in annoyance but mostly in pain. I let tears stream down my face, why has this happened to me? 

"Hey, are you okay?" Another voice asks. I look up to see a man stood over me, his face clouded with concern.

"Some jerk took my bag, I tried to yell for help but there was nobody around" I sob. He crouches down and helps me to my feet. My hands are scraped from when I hit the ground and there's a hole in my tights from where my knees hit the ground. Placing a hand to my back, I try to stretch it but it's too painful.

"Did you see what they looked like? We should call the police" He says but I shake my head, tears still running down my face.

"It's no use, I didn't see their face. I just think it was a man and it's not like there's CCTV round here. But thank you all the same. My keys and phone are luckily in my pocket, so I'll just go home and clean myself up" I say, feeling embarrassed that someone as good looking as him has seen me in this state.

"Let me walk you home?" He asks.

"I'll be okay, it's only a couple of blocks away" I say, beginning to walk away but I hear his footsteps catching up with me.

"I wasn't really asking, I'll walk with you, it'll give me peace of mind that you get home safe. I'm Brendon, by the way" He says, reaching his hand out and I shake it, wincing as his palm touches where I cut my hand.

"I'm Y/N and thank you, I don't mean to sound grateful, I'm just a bit shaken up. I do really appreciate it, thank God you came by" I say, flashing him a small smile and he smiles back, his eyes lighting up as he does. God, he really is good looking.

"You're bound to be shaken up. Make sure you clean your hand and knee properly, you don't want it to get infected. Have a nice hot drink and try your best to get some rest. What were you doing on your own so late?" He asks.

"A meeting ran late, I stupidly walked to work thinking I'd leave at normal time" I explain and he tenses his jaw, suddenly looking angry.

"Nobody offered you a lift home or to at least walk with you? Assholes" He exclaims.

"My boss isn't that kind of person, he's all business" I laugh.

"Then he doesn't deserve to be a boss if he doesn't care about a pretty woman like you walking home alone" He says and he instantly turns away. I feel my face blush when I hear him call me pretty.

"Anyway, this is me. Thank you so much" I say, giving him a hug which takes him by surprise at first, but he wraps his arms round me, holding me tight. He smells divine. 

"I know this might seem quite forward, but here's my number. It's up to you whether you message me or not, but I would like it if you did. Take care of yourself, Y/N" He smiles, scribbling his number on a bit of paper before handing it to me. 

Before I have time to respond, he's already walking away. But, I just know that it won't be the last time I see him.

Wow, we love a protective Brendon.