Chapter 19

What is that do you seek?

I heard a faint voice, yet I was unable to identify it. It sounds familiar.

This is the path you choose. Do you regret it?

It asked me familiar questions, questions that I've asked myself for a very long time.

You just wanted to protect what's precious to you. Even if it means giving up your life for it.

I don't know why, but it kinda understands me just as how much I understand it. Yet I can't describe. I've known it for a long time.

For that sole reason, I shall obey you.

I opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling. It's a weird dream to have. I checked the clock beside the bed and shocked to see that it's already late noon. Have I been asleep for that long?

I tried to push myself up from the bed, only to notice that my body is very heavy and I barely have any strength. It's like my body was glued onto the bed itself. I can only pray that it's not the side effects of the pills. I managed to sit up straight, holding onto my head as it feels heavy and dizzy. The moment my hand touched my own forehead, I wasn't able to identify whether it's the fact that my hands are freezing cold or that my body has a high temperature.

I sighed and cursed myself. Why now out of all times? It's not like I get to be a part of the operation team, but it's still my responsibility to be there on standby. I got off the bed, I feel weak and tired but not as bad as it seems for now. I mean, I still can walk right? It will be okay, if I just stayed behind.

After that, I got dressed and swung my blades around to test it out. I'm definitely not in condition to fight. I can't go with them tonight, I'll just drag them down. But, I should at least just join them for their final meeting before their operation starts.

Suddenly, my phone rings. Feeling attached to the bed, I picked up the phone and collapsed onto the bed, it welcomed me and I started talking while laying down on the bed.

      "Hello, this is Kiera. "I said, trying my best not to sound sick.

      "........ Did you catch a cold or something? You sounded sick with that sore throat of yours. "Shinji's voice came from the other side.

     "No, I'm not sick. "I denied.

     "Kiera. "He said with a warning tone.

     "Okay, okay. You got me. "

     "Seriously? In summer? "

     "Like I have a choice. I'm still talking to you aren't I? It's not that bad. "

     "It better be or I'll smack you harder than Aki for it. "

     "Okay, okay. So, why did you call? "I asked.

     "Your 'friends' there are questioning me about SEES's activities when you guys gone for your trip. "

     "They what? "

     "They question about the dark hour and stuff. Do you know what's going on? "