Chapter 65

"I already know that she's sick, but I didn't know that it was to this extent. "Mafune sighed as she took a slip on her tea. Akihiko remained quiet as he stared at his reflection in his own cup. With the need to have a talk, they settle down in the hospital's cafe.

      "How do you know about Kiera? "He questioned. She stared at him for a while before she place down her cup.

     "You can say......... That I'm the start of everything. "She feels guilty when she said that.

      "What do you mean by that? "

     ".......... I run a little shop where 'those services' are offered when I was younger......... To be exact, I own the place where her earliest childhood began. "Akihiko flinched at the news. Mafune was surprise, she didn't expect him to catch on that fast.

     "Judging from your reaction, I assume that she had told you about it? "She questioned.

      "........ Only parts of it. "

     "I see........ Just by that, I could already tell how much she trust you. Perhaps, that's why she came to me that day........" Mafune said as she recalled the memory.

      "......... Please tell me what you know. "Akihiko stated, he wanted to know.

      "........ About a month ago, that girl came back to the shop. To be honest, I was surprised. After all, not many people have the courage to face their darkest fears. The things she demand from me are even more shocking to hear. "

     "What things? "

      "......... She wanted the truth. She wants to know......... Why her mother still decided to give birth to her when she hated a mistake like her that much. "Akihiko froze.

      "I was reluctant to say at first, but extremely stubborn, just like her mother. After multiple begging and pursuing, I gave in for a threat she gave me. Not like I have much of a say, I was extremely guilty after all. "

      ".......... What did you do? "He questioned.

      "......... 20 years ago, I took in two homeless girls. Imikaze Haru and Imikaze Naru. Haru and Naru are perfect identical twins, but they never share the same point of view. On the age of 18, Naru used her natural charm and started working for me while Haru hated this life, no matter hard life is, she would always choose to work outside. I don't really care whichever they choose, as long as I get their rent for living under my roof.......... That was the greatest mistake I ever made in my entire life. "She stated as she pulled out a small golden music box from her bag.

      "......... Naru got into some trouble with some Mafia, she needed money fast. I never thought.........she would trick Haru to do it. "Mafune continued as she starts to turn the music box. Akihiko stayed quiet, he could sense that a horrifying news is about to show itself.

      "Naru and Haru are identical twins, even I couldn't tell them apart, so Naru used this to her advantage........ That night, she tricked Haru to switch rooms with her, I don't know how she did it but it was too late when I found out about it. "Mafune stared at the music box as it started playing a clear melody.

      ".......... Naru let that man rape her. "Akihiko jumped up from his seat without realizing it. He couldn't believe his own ears.

       "......... If that's not traumatizing enough, then the fact that Haru was pregnant struck her so hard that she had shut down for a whole month........ I didn't say anything to help, I couldn't actually, not when I'm part of the blame.......... To my surprise, Haru was strong. She was back on her feet with a new hope within her. I don't know why, but she fell in love with the lives inside her and was determined to bring them to the world. "

       "........ Them? "Akihiko questioned as he sat back down. Mafune looked at him, then she placed the music box the table, opening the lid to reveal two angels holding hands as they spin slowly with the melody.

      "......... Haru was pregnant with twins. "Akihiko flinched at the news.

     "........ What happened? "He questioned, an uncomfortable feeling linger within his chest.

     "........ Just two weeks before Haru's due date......... Naru got into trouble again and this time......... The people had mistaken Haru as her sister. And they took it out on her. "

    "They what?! "

    "By the time I found Haru, she's beaten up and they're shoving some kind of medicine down her throat......... After that, her labor starts and she couldn't stop bleeding......... Her will kept her going and she managed to give birth to both her babies......... But, only one of them is crying. "Akihiko could feel his own heart getting torn apart. How could such tragedy exist in this world?!

     "Haru died after holding both her daughters. The doctors revealed that she died of too much blood loss, then they say that.........it's like a miracle. Maybe it's just simply luck or the act of pure love, her sister pretty much took the hit for her, she was born healthy. To sum it up.........both her mother and sister gave their lives for hers. "Mafune paused for a while, then she looked at Akihiko.

      "After that, I picked out the names that Haru has been coming up with throughout her pregnancy......... Hikaru and Haruna. "Mafune said as she showed Akihiko an old notebook with many names scribbled on it.

      "I buried Haru and Hikaru a week after the incident. After that, I was consumed with self blame and took up the responsibility for raising Haruna......... I'm sure you already know who Haruna is. "

      ".......... Kiera's real name......... Is Haruna......... "Akihiko recalled the night when she said those words to him. She's telling him her name!

     "Then, Naru, being the biggest bitch that she is, took her sister's name to hide from all the people she pissed off and continued living like nothing happened......... Worst of all, she heard that Haru left some money behind for her daughter and she stripped the child rights from me. I was back stab by her, she chased me out of the shop and make sure that I could never get close to her and Haruna........... By the time I finally got back the shop, she passed away due to a disease and Haruna was send back to her real father. Around the same time, I also heard from the other girls on how Naru has been treating Haruna........"Mafune stared at Akihiko, he has been awfully quiet.

     "........ Did she knows? "Akihiko questioned.

     "........ I told her the exact same thing you heard today........ I can no longer ease her childhood trauma, all I can do, was telling her how much Haru loved her. "

    "......... I think that alone, is enough for her. "Akihiko said as he gave her a bitter smile. That made her flinch.

      "What? "

      "To know.........her mother loved her. Something like that, is more than enough for her. "Akihiko reassured, he knows that she would've gave the same answer. Mafune blinked a few time before she smiled.

      "To think I would hear the exact same words from you....... You really are the one for her. "Mafune said as she stood up to leave.

      "Wait! You left your music box. "Akihiko gently picked up the music box that has stopped playing and handed it to Mafune.

      "......... She came to me a month ago, I missed the chance to gave her this.......... That music box, was the first thing that Haru bought for her daughters, a blessing that wasn't delivered in time. "Akihiko froze at the spot, then he just watched Mafune left with the music box in his hand.

      "........... Hikaru and Haruna, huh? "He mumbled softly as he stared at the music box, caressing it gently, holding onto the love of a mother to her child. He couldn't describe it any other way than a treasure that should be kept for a life time.