Chapter 64

Akihiko stared blankly at the girl he loves so much on the quarantine hospital room, surrounded by machines. She survived.........barely though. She couldn't live without life support, even with the support of all those medicine and machine, there's still a high chance that she'll die in her sleep. She's extremely fragile, one tiny mistake and she's gone.

     "Sanada-kun. "He turned around, his eyes met with the doctor responsible on keeping Kiera alive. He had her medical reports in his hands, Akihiko could tell right away that there's more bad news for him to have.

      "So.........how's the rest of SEES doing? "The doctor questioned when they are alone in his office.

      "Pretty much depressed about everything, still need some time to sort things out. "Akihiko shrugged.

      "I guess that's expected.........but, are you alright? "Akihiko paused when he heard that question. Three days have passed since that incident. With Mitsuru away, he naturally taken up the responsibility as the leader of SEES. His juniors are all shutting down, someone has to keep things running. Besides, he made a promise.

      "Well........ Someone gotta keep things running. "Akihiko gave the doctor a bitter smile.

     "........ Okay. So,.......which one you like to hear first? The bad, the worse or the worst? "The doctor questioned as he lay out three separate documents.

       "........ In the order you prefer to tell. "Akihiko stated, he already anticipated that this will be a hell of a talk.

       "........ Alright. First, we'll start with her current condition. We found multiple traces of abuse and torture, worst of all, they are fresh. I'm surprised when you said that she put up a hell of a fight with Ikutsuki cuz she's definitely in no conditions to do so. Her internal isn't doing well on their own as well. Aside from the internal bruising caused by the torture, her main organs were all on the verge of failing on her. I suspect that it was the long period of consuming the drugs or perhaps part of X629's side effects. "The doctor said as he flipped through the first report.

     "X629?" Akihiko didn't like the sound of it.

     "I searched through the files Mrs Kirijou gave me. X629 is a kind of drug that pushes human limits to it's uttermost. It's something like it can let you keep fighting even though someone had stabbed your heart. Normal people would die on the spot, but the X629 allows you to hold on a lot longer. But the side effects are extremely severe that it doesn't worth using it. "

      "What are the side effects? "

      "It paralyzes the human brain, destroying some important nervous system within the human body. How severe it is depends on the amount that was taken in. As you know, most our body's mechanism depends a lot on the brain. X629 stops the brain from controlling your body, including the simple task like breathing and pumping the heart. That's why, she's currently on life support. How severe the X629 destroyed her body is still unclear, but I doubt it would be good since a high concentration was found just on her arm.......... Perhaps, that's how she had so many close calls in one night. "

      "I see......... "Akihiko squeezed his fists. What Ikutsuki had done is simply unforgivable.

     "We'll move on to her mental state. To be honest, it's just a theory since I can't confirm it with her still on coma. I'll tell you so you can prepare yourself in case she wakes up.......... According to the files, persona harvesting literally means tearing out one's mind. So,........ If she does wake up, there's an extremely high chance that she wouldn't be the same Kiera you know. Even so, the chances of her waking up is already low itself, she may be comatose for the rest of her life. "Akihiko's heart fell at the news.

     "Do you want me to continue? "The doctor asked.

     "......... Yes. "

     "Okay.......... Then, we'll start with the reports that chains grew out of her hand. It took awhile, but I think I finally found it......... They call it the Human Antishadow Weapon. "

     "The what?" Akihiko couldn't believe what he have just heard.

     "Apparently, a scientist figure that the harvest of personas on human body is a bit too cruel. So, he decided to conduct an experiment to let humans able to fend off shadows on their own. There's no official statement in this experiment, my best guess was that it was conducted behind his employer's back. He chooses one test subjects among all the children and that girl was Kiera....... His experiment worked, but Kiera was already taken away for the persona harvest project before he had the chance to share his success. To put it in simpler words,......... You can say that Kiera isn't exactly human anymore."

      "How's that less crueler? "Akihiko was pissed at the idea.

       "And now......... The female doctor who has been caring for Kiera. "The doctor switched to a much serious tone.

       "What do you mean? "

       "Her name is Amara Tayami. Apparently, she's one of Ikutsuki's most trustworthy assistant. "

       "She's what? "Akihiko froze at the memory of Tayami stepping out of Kiera's room after her mental breakdown.

       "Unfortunately, that's how Ikutsuki have been slowly working on his plan........ From what I've heard, she won't get any closer to any one of you again. "The doctor sighed.

      "That's good......... I guess. "

      "......... I swear that I'll do anything in my power to help, but there's still things that I'm unable to handle. "The doctor pulled out a piece of paper.

     "What's that? "Akihiko questioned.

     "Mrs Kirijou will be busy for a long time, so she decided to let you handle this. She said that you have the right to have them. The first part was already given to Mrs Yamagishi and these are the rest that she wish you would properly address to. "He said as he handed Akihiko the paper.

3) Contact Mafune Hiragami
4) Contact Haoto Aragaki

Akihiko frowned at the names. Aragaki?

      "I don't know the details, she only asked me to hand this to you. "The doctor stated as he could tell his confusion. Akihiko stared at the paper for a short while before he thanked the doctor and left the office.

With a sigh, he leaned against the white walls, thinking what he's supposed to do next. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the spare key that Kiera gave him, staring at it as he recalled the last words Kiera said to him. Haruna, what does that mean?

     "Are you perhaps......... Akihiko Sanada? "He slightly jumped when he heard an unfamiliar voice calling his name. He turned and met with an old woman in a black dress.

      "Do I........know you? "He asked. The woman just smiled and shook her head.

      "No, but I do. You're really are just like a bright light that shine in the darkness. "She chuckled. He flinched at those words. He heard those words before.

      "Who........are you? "

      "Oh, my apologies. I go with the name, Mafune Hiragami. "
************************************
In her own room, Fuuka read the documents in her room for the third time since she had gotten them from Mitsuru. Eventually, she dropped everything on the floor and sobbed.

      ".......... What have we done? "She questioned as she continued to cry her heart out. This is too much.........