Chapter 50

The cold woke me up early in the morning, shivering within the covers, desperate to stay warm. Yet, nothing worked. No longer able to return to my slumbers, I reached for my phone beside my pillow. It's still too early for Jin to check on me, yet I didn't want to disturb him at this hour. I flinched when I noticed an unread message from.........Aki.

I was very hesitant to read it. I may not be able to let go if I read it........ Even so, I couldn't help myself. With a deep breath, I opened the message.

Kiera, where are you? Please don't do this to me, I want to see you. Please. Call or reply to me as soon as possible...... I'm begging you.

I turned off my phone and buried my face in the pillow, both hands squeezing tight on the sheets as I sobbed. I knew that it would be a bad idea.
************************************
"Sanada. "

"Akihiko Sanada! "With a loud slam on the table, Akihiko jumped up from his seat, trying to process what had just happened as he stared at the teacher's furious face.

"Don't sleep in class! Go out and wash your face! "He yelled at him. Akihiko quickly apologizes and stepped out of the classroom. Mitsuru just watched him, both hands squeezing tight as she felt her heart being stabbed by thousands of blades.

Alone in the bathroom, Akihiko stared at his own reflections on the mirror. Dark bags had formed from his sleepless nights, he too has become thinner as he's not really eating much recently. He couldn't go without a night having a nightmare of seeing her dying and he wasn't able to do anything. The mere sight of it made his stomach turn.

He sighed. He knew that he couldn't keep on being in such a state. If she really wanted to see him, she would've contacted him by now. He can't keep on torturing himself, he's sure, that she wouldn't want to see him in that state.

Suddenly, his phone vibrates, signaling him that he has a new message. Clinging onto the last hope he has, he quickly opened it. It's not the one he was hoping for, but the contents shocked him.

I know that you're searching for a girl named Kiera. I know where she is, but you have to earn it by completing a little treasure hunt.

Akihiko was hesitant, who is the sender? Is this just a fraud? Yet, he didn't want to overlook the very little information that he has. Before he trusts this sender, there's something he has to confirm.

Who are you? Is the Kiera you speak of the same person? Describe her.

It didn't take the sender long to reply.

Don't trust me I see. But, I guess it's natural. Kiera, the girl with purple hair, a member of your school's club, SEES and your girlfriend. And to answer your first question, I'm her acquaintance, you don't need to know more than that. So, you take the deal or what?

Akihiko flinched as he recalled Chidori's words. He kinda has a faint idea of who the sender is, but he didn't say anything about it. Why is he doing it? It doesn't matter right now, he just wanted to see Kiera again.

Alright, what should I do?

Retrieve a letter from your shoe locker.

Akihiko was confused, yet he did as he was told. To his own surprise, there really is a letter inside and it's addressed to him. He opened it out of pure curiosity and was stunned to see Kiera's handwriting but it's a bit wobbly and messy.

Hey, Aki........ I'm sorry that I lied to you. A lot has happened these past few months and I no longer know what to do. I'm sure that you're mad and maybe.......hurt. But, I hope you understand, that I no longer have a choice. The truth is........ I really, really love you, more than anything else in the world in fact. I never wanted to leave you ever since the first day we met, you showed me what it's meant to live. That alone is enough for me. I know, it's kinda unfair, right? Me saying all of those cruel things and here I am, saying something that's completely opposite to it. Even so, I wanted to say it, I don't want to have any more regrets than I already have. I may not be able to say this in person, but....... Thank you, for everything. And....... Bye.

Kiera

Akihiko took a deep breath to calm himself down, it took him a lot of effort to hold it in when he noticed tear stains on the paper. This is sad, too sad. Yet, it strengthens his will to see her again. With that thought in mind, he quickly replied to the message.

I've retrieved the message, what next?

Go to the pharmacy and buy cough syrup, now.

Akihiko glanced at the clock, it's still too early to leave school. He had no choice but to go to the infirmary for a fake medical leave. Only at times like this, he's grateful that he didn't pay much attention to his health.

He only noticed that he's being watched after he stepped out of the pharmacy. The new instruction is ahead of him.

Buy beef bowl from the beef bowl shop.

Buy a rose from the florist.

Go to the police station.

Go to the back alley of Tatsumi Port Island.

Go to Naganaki Shrine.

Akihiko gasped for air when he finally climbed up the stairs to the shrine. He started to believe that he's just being fooled around. If he wasn't desperate, he wouldn't even have time to deal with it. He let out a frustrated sigh when his phone reminded him of a new message.

Step into the abandoned hut behind the shrine and put everything you bought today on the table.

He blinked as he re-reads the message. This is the first one in a while that didn't ask him to go somewhere far for no reason. He circled behind the shrine and was surprised to see a small path hidden in between the trees. With a deep breath, he followed the path and stepped deeper into the trees. It didn't take him long to find a small abandoned hut deep within the trees.

He peeked into the small dirty window yet unable to get a clear look on the inside. Suddenly, he noticed a key hanging on the doorknob. He wondered whether it was left for him to use. He stared at it for a long time, hesitant to take it. Finally, he took the key after taking a deep breath. He slowly inserted the key into the keyhole and unlocked it before cautiously stepping into the hut.

It's small and dark on the inside, he could only vaguely make out a tiny toilet, a table, and a few chairs. He stepped in and place everything on the table as he was told. He flinched when he heard the squeaking sound of a bed on his right side. He didn't know that someone's there nor the existence of the bed.

".......... Usually, you would've opened the lights by now. "His whole world stopped when he heard that familiar voice. It didn't take long for the light of a table lamp to switch on. Both of them froze once they caught sight of each other. At the same time, the wind started to blow and the door closed on its own. Creating an illusion of a moment worth a lifetime.