Prologue

U N T O L D
T R U T H
Prologue

Life is a ticking time bomb. I know that, the people around me know that. Hamilton, where we live, is a place that is not ordinary, but not special. Nothing bad has ever happened here.

I wish I knew that tonight would be the last night of my sanity, or the last night of hope for the town.

I hug my arms tighter around my body when the cold Sunday night air nips at my bare skin. My black crop top I decided to wear isn't exactly providing enough warmth. I wore it for the look, not the comfort.

"Do you think we should go home yet?" I ask my best friend, Camila, over the sound of the blaring music. The mix of music and flashing lights begins to give me a headache. It mightn't of been a good idea to drink so much alcohol tonight.

Typically, I can handle it and not suffer a hangover. Tonight I just want to curl into bed. I'm not in the spirit to be the typic Violet Jackson I am. Maybe it's the weather, maybe it's just me feeling unwell.

She stares at me as if I am crazy, and shakes her head. "This is our party to celebrate having all our half year tests over! There's no way I'm leaving before the fun has begun!" She shouts back.

Typical Cami.

My lips form a straight line and glance around the room which is filled to the brim with junior year students. I am surprised none of the seniors decided to crash the party.

Camila stumbles away from me, and into the sea of dancing people. I wouldn't call it dancing, more like drunk teenagers huddled and grinding on whoever is closest, or bouncing up and down.

While huffing out a breath, I switch on my phone to discover it is nearly midnight. I have been here since nine, and already the party turned into a bore. It's no fun without the seniors.

Suddenly, a familiar voice begins talking to me, causing me to jump slightly as I hadn't expected him to pop up. "You look like you're having fun." Sebastian Reynolds stands beside with his his arms crossed over his leather jacket.

"Is it that obvious?" I match his sarcasm, and lean against the bench. Wearing heels also wasn't my wisest choice. "I want to go home, but Camila wants to stay. Not to mention our designated driver wants to stay."

He brushes a hand through his chestnut hair and glances around the swarms of drunk sixteen or seventeen years olds.

"I was actually just about to head home myself." He tells me with a smile on his face and his thumb jabbed over his shoulder. "I could give you a ride, if you want?"

"Yes, please." I answer instantly and stand forward so I am no longer leaning. "You're not drunk, are you?" I ask while we try to push our way out of the house past the dancing bodies.

Sebastian shakes his head and shouts over the music. "No. I have a family dinner tomorrow, and my mom will kill me if she sees me with a hangover."

I nod. We finally manage to escape the party and walk to the front yard. A few teenagers have already passed out on the lawn, and the rest are either vomiting, or smoking.

"Where is your car?" I no longer have to shout over the horrid music as it fades into the distance. The air is even colder outside, so again I find myself wrapping my arms around myself once more.

"I parked on the corner." He points ahead to a red truck. "Are you cold?"

"A little." The moment I answer, he shrugs off the black leather jacket he was wearing and places it over my shoulders. "Thanks." I quickly mumble back and pull it closer to my shivering body.