9| Ruin Everything

U N T O L D
T R U T H
chapter nine

        Today feels like the longest day in history

        Today feels like the longest day in history. I almost forced myself to go to bed at lunch time to sleep the rest of the day away.

     "You're more than welcome." I had zoned out for who knows how long, my barely eaten dinner in front of me has gone cold. I didn't even have the energy to push the food around with my fork.

      All I could do was sit and stare at the same spot as thoughts invade my mind. I could of died today, or gotten Flynn killed. Another one on my list.

        "Thanks, Allie." Flynn has started to call my mom by her first now after she had insisted on it. She's slowly warming up to him.

      "Violet?" I can hear the conversation around me, I just hadn't bother to let it register on my mind. "Is that okay with you?"

           I look up from my plate at mom and Flynn who are sitting on opposite sides of the table. I had sat at the end, on my own. I raise a brow because I don't understand her question, mainly because I hadn't payed any attention.

Mom's shoulders deflate slightly, a sad look taking over her features. She probably thinks so much of my progress has just been taken away from me in one single moment.

Sure- I do feel the same ache in my chest as my mind wanders so far I can't concentrate on anything around me. The hollow part within me fills with feelings of guilt and worthlessness.

But that's only a temporary feeling that would wash over in a few days. I hope it does, at least. I can't feel this all over again.

      "We thought it would be best if Flynn stays the night in the guest bedroom." Mom tells me, filling me in on what I missed. "You two did have a lot happen today, so you understand what you're both going through."

       I nod, simply not knowing what to say and I don't want to even attempt to speak with my throat. I almost cried trying to swallow a small piece of food.

         Mom knows that Flynn is aware of Sebastian, and she knows not to mention anything about that night or my involvement. I'm still working out a way to lay that heavy piece of information to him. He'll hate me.

      "The school called to let me know that they're allowing the both of you to have up to a week off school, although your work will be sent out to you." I feel a little relief when mom tells us this- I don't have to deal with worrying about my peers comments on the situation.

     Flynn sighs. "That's a first for a high school to actually care about student's wellbeing." He jokes and slides his empty plate forward.

"I guess they thought it would be easier than dealing with everyone's comments on what happened. It will let the news die down before you two go back." Mom says, glancing between the two of us.