39| Flowers For You

U N T O L D
T R U T H
chapter thirty nine

U N T O L D T R U T H chapter thirty nine

You are invisible in hospitals. So much death, birth, injury, and illness takes place in the one large building. Everyone here has their own reason to being here, some stuck, and some for a reason.

That's how I like to distract myself. I like to think about someone else being here for a different cause and how their life lead them here. It's far more fun than sitting here on the awful hospital bed knowing that the chances of me being discharged within the next few days are high.

Thank goodness, I was worried I would be stuck here a lot longer than I thought. I can bare waiting through the next week. After all, this place is a lot more cosier than Penn Sterling.

"I didn't know which flavour you both like, so I got one of each." Dianna says as she walks back into the hospital room with five small paper bags in her hands.

She settles them down on the table beside my bed. "Thank you, Dianna." Mom says and reads the flavours of the muffins my friend had gotten for us since mom ranted about how much she wanted them.

Camila, Dianna, and Flynn had all shown up to the hospital bright and early this morning as soon as they were allowed in. Liam had messaged my phone to send his best wishes, and that he would stop by once everyone had stopped bombarding me.

"So, when are you suppose to be discharged?" Camila asks from beside me since she had claimed the spot before anyone else could.

Flynn was left to sit at the end of the bed as my mom and Dianna occupy the only two seats in the room. "They think within the next three to five days. They just want to make sure her body doesn't decide to reject the kidney's once she is off the anti rejection fluid today, and that her recovery is fine."

Mom answers before I can, giving my friends the lengthy version of my simple 'three to five days' response. "Are you taking time off work tomorrow, Allie?" Camila leans forward to look past me to my mom.

She purses her lips sadly and glances at me for a moment. "I can't. My boss is on my back with loads of work to do. I tried calling for time off but because Violet is now eighteen, she's deemed okay to take care of herself."

Thinking about being here without mom for at least another week or less is enough to make me want to groan. "We'll stay h-"

Mom stops Dianna. "No, you all have school. The principal will be calling all of your parents." I lean further into the upright bed as I watch my mother converse more with my friends than I have.

I try not to make my frown obvious for mom, since I do want my friends here with me- but I know it isn't an option like she said. "What about just tomorrow? That way she isn't alone for the whole week?" Camila pleads my mom.

She sighs and scrunches up the empty muffin packet. "Tomorrow only." Deep down, I know mom would love my friends to be here when she can't. The only thing stopping that is the attendance system.