26| Please Stay

U N T O L D
T R U T H
chapter twenty six

     Mom was indicating for me to sit down on the sofa, but I shake my head to decline

Mom was indicating for me to sit down on the sofa, but I shake my head to decline. I feel- and am, already so dirty. No one has given me a chance to shower and change since I got home.

"Judging by the amount of blood there was, it's safe to say it makes it a lot easier to track this young man down. He would have to have some really bad injuries that seem unlikely for him to take care of himself." Officer Morrison says.

I feel suddenly sick, his words sounding like a praise for my actions. It's almost as if I'm being congratulated for hurting another human being. I don't want to be as low as the men who hurt Sebastian.

"What do we do know that they know where we live?" Mom asks, almost in a panic as she sits down. It was the questions that has been dancing on my mind this whole time.

"It's completely up to you on what decision feels necessary." The Officer tells my mom, leaning her to know that we wouldn't be able to afford moving. "You'll need the door fixed but most of the business who would be able to do so are closed until tomorrow. If you want to stay here we have have officers regularly monitor the area and check in on you both." Either way, it's clear we will have to stay here. "I have to head back to the station now, but if anything changes just give us a call."

"Thank you." Mom says back to him when he leaves the living room, and eventually the house alongside the cleaners and forensic team. She let's out a stressed sigh and leans back into the couch.

"I'll tell you what-" Matthew Davis perks up and places his hands on his hips. "Laine and I can fix the door so it's at least stable enough to last the night, and let's have dinner at our house. We have a spare bedroom, you both are welcome to stay the night until the door is properly fixed."

     I am more than comfortable with his proposal since the Davis house has started to become my second home, but I look to mom knowing wherever she goes I will too. I don't want to leave her after today.

    She sighs in thought and tucks her curls behind her ears. "It's okay, I don't want to trouble you both any more for the afternoon. We can stay at the motel a few blocks from here."

"You're not staying in a rundown motel, Allie." Laine Davis objects to what my mom had said. "And it's not any trouble at all, we're just glad Violet is here and okay now. Us three can play the new monopoly I bought and the kids can all watch movies. It'll be a nice rest of the night for us all."

Mom smiles, her pearly white teeth and pink cheeks almost make me want to smile with her. Speaking to people her age that aren't from work has helped her own mental health. "That sounds great, thank you."

"I'll go get some tools to fix the door as best I can, and burn the monopoly before Laine can get it." Immediately, the Davis mother slaps her husbands arm as he laughs, beaming his own smile at her.