44| Just Breathe

U N T O L D
T R U T H
chapter forty four

Something about my psychology sessions after Penn Sterling doesn't sit right with me

Something about my psychology sessions after Penn Sterling doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it's because I hate speaking about that hospital. Now that these appointments have been deemed compulsory for me, I resent them.

"How are you feeling about today?" Doctor Landon asks me while she fixes her chunky black framed glasses and tucks her long curly black hair behind her ears. "Violet, you haven't once opened up about the incident in the hospital. Going back there today wouldn't be easy for you."

Bang.

Thick, chunky, vibrant red liquid paints the once white hall. His body drops to the ground, his head and open eyes facing towards my end of the hall.

I can't stop the familiar flinch that shakes through my body. I hate that I can't control it. I can't unsee him dying. It replays over, and over again in my mind.

"It's fine."

"Violet-" there it is, the familiar drawl of my name from my psychologist that lets me know she is either about to pour me a platter of motivation or tell me something about how I'm feeling. "The last few times that I have seen you and tried to speak to you about it, you flinch and close your eyes. It's not fine. You never even reacted like that to Sebastian."

I frown. I had no idea that I would close my eyes every time my mind would replay the man's death. "What do you want me to say? That I watched a man who helped killed Sebastian, then tried to kill me several times- shoot himself in the head? It's not really a talking matter."

I am being a little harsh on her than normal. In my defence, I made it as obvious that I don't want to talk about any of it. Without realising, my eyes had unleashed tears that had been building for so long.

"It's eating your mind up, Violet. I'm not here to inflict it on you, I'm here to help you move forward from this the same way you got through Sebastian." My nails dig into the palm of my hands as I feel my cheeks beginning to burn. "You're a strong girl, but I know you well enough to see you're having a hard time at the moment. To me, it seems as if you're not opening up like you use to because you're scared of letting yourself go again. You think avoiding the issue will let you move past it all."

Bang.

There's that sound again. If echoes in my head so loud that my skull starts to throb. She makes things seem so complex, when really I'm just avoiding it for the whole reason that every time it's bought up I have to rewatch it again.

"Violet-"

"It's five past eleven." I say quickly after glancing at the white clock that rests on her desk. My appointments are booked as hourly slots, and I came in today for a ten o'clock booking. Once again, I dodged the heavy bullet.