49| Blurry Memory

U N T O L D
T R U T H
chapter forty nine

U N T O L D T R U T H chapter forty nine

I've been awake for a while now. I don't want to open my eyes and have to handle the real world around me. I know my mom is here, I've been listening to her familiar sighs and conversation with George. They're the only people I know are here with my shut eyes.

My chest burns as if someone has set fire to my flesh. I remember first feeling it when I drew in my first mouthful of bath water. I choked on it, and as the water flooded my lungs that's when the burning started.

The rest was blurry. Everything is a blank memory after taking in the water. I can faintly remember glimpses of after it- faceless people in blue suits, choking on more water, being pushed around on a cold floor, more pressure on my chest. It's all an image I can't put together.

It all leads me to here, waking up a while ago trying to piece together where I am and what happened. Through those glimpses, I don't recall seeing Flynn. I'm scared if I open my eyes, I'll have to face hearing if something bad happened to him.

I can't bare it. I feel so empty and numb lying here. I don't know how I'm breathing still. I swallowed too much water, I felt myself in so much pain that I knew I was dying. I'm unaware of how long between that and the blue suited men there was, anything could of happened to Flynn.

"I can go ask the doctors if you would like?" I hear George Fields offer to mom, resuming their conversation about me. I don't want to ignore her, but I don't want to handle everything right now.

"No, no, it's okay." Another one of mom's sad sighs meets my ears, followed my rustling. "I need to go to the bathroom so I'll ask a doctor on the way."

It's been like this since sound swarmed back to me. Mom's voice dimmed down as she asks George answerless questions. I can tell he's trying his best to ensure she is staying well.

"Alright then. You should grab yourself something to eat while you're out." Just like I expected, he wants to take care of her. I haven't had a chance to speak to George alone, so I've only managed to catch him when we had dinner with Liam. But from that and what I'm hearing- I know he is undoubtedly one of the only men who I would trust with mom.

After mom asks George Fields if he wants anything from the cafeteria, I hear a clicking noise followed by the sound a door closing. Then it's deathly quiet. There is nothing but various machinery peeping through the building and muffled voices.

I want the silence to be peaceful. But it's not. I haven't been able to stop thinking about what had happened. The last time I saw Flynn was when he was zip tied to my bed, trying to talk through the tape over his lips. I should of concentrated more on getting the scissors than talking to the nine-one-one operator.

I want to know if he is okay, but I also don't want to have to face something I don't want to hear. The heavy feeling is already swelling in my pained chest. I should of thought things through more. I should of hit the man harder or maybe even twice, I should of taken the tape of Flynn's mouth first, I should of ran faster.