47| Just Like Everyone

U N T O L D
T R U T H
chapter forty seven

After we arrived back in Hamilton from Flynn's spontaneous road trip, I found myself holding my breath when we drove into our town

After we arrived back in Hamilton from Flynn's spontaneous road trip, I found myself holding my breath when we drove into our town. I didn't want to be back knowing barely anything about the two men being here somewhere.

The town is always quiet, but it felt even quieter when I stepped outside of Flynn's car. As I stared back at my house, it felt different. The police car parked across the road from it was the biggest change for me.

Even through all of these changes and scary times, things are still normal. Like now. I never thought I would be sitting on the couch in the living room with mom pacing back and forth in front of me.

She hasn't said anything, so I know this is her trying to think. We haven't spoken about her and George Fields's engagement, so I assume she's trying her best to find the right words now that Flynn has gone back to his house to unpack and see his family.

I continue to play with my fingers nervously in my lap, and watch her pace. Until she stops, closes her eyes, and takes a deep breath. She takes a folded piece of paper from her jacket pocket and unfolds it.

"Why didn't you come to me?" I realise the piece of paper in her hand is the prescription from the doctor for both my medication, and the pill. I was expecting this lecture sooner or later, but it's definitely not one I want to sit through.

"I'm eighteen mom, I'm old enough to know-" as if I thought my age would change mom's mind, in her eyes I'm still her child. All she wants to know is that I'm as safe as possible- with everything.

"Violet, you're still my child under my roof." Just how I had expected her to say. "It's exactly my point. You're eighteen. That is far too young to be risking falling pregnant and getting STI's. If you have told me we could of gone to the doctors straight away to make sure you-"

I can't listen to it anymore. There's a big difference between friends and family talking about something so personal. Especially you're parents. "Alright, alright. I get it mom." I silence her small rant. "I know to be safe, I know all of that. Just please, can we stop with this conversation."

She stands with her hands on her hips, but her shoulders relax and she drops the frown from her face. "As long as you promise that under my roof-"

"Mom, I've got it." I stick two thumbs up at her with an obvious forced smile. I just want the topic to be over with. She sighs and let's defeat take over her face. I think she didn't want to have this conversation just as much as I didn't want to hear it.

After a few moments of silence, I realise she isn't going to say anything about her and George. My chest sinks in with sadness. I can't believe she still won't tell me.

I stand up from the couch and start to leave the living room, feeling the worst pain of secrecy from my own mother. She doesn't stop me like I had hoped.