12| Camila Beckett

U N T O L D
T R U T H
chapter twelve

        Growing up I thought the worst tragedy was having my hopes up for eating the ice cream in the freezer, but someone had already eaten it

Growing up I thought the worst tragedy was having my hopes up for eating the ice cream in the freezer, but someone had already eaten it. I was never exposed to any sort of drama or loss. Things were- simple.

I want things to go back to when I was little. Mom and dad would have movie nights with me, I would take my new dolls to Camila's house for a play date, and I would go to school to have fun.

Over the weekend, I lost the concept of simple and recovery. I can't describe how I feel other than embarrassment, guilt, and a looming darkness. I just don't feel like me.

I avoided school on Monday when I realised Flynn had made his mind up. He didn't call, message, or come to my house to talk it through- because he doesn't want to.

I'm not mad or upset at him, I'm upset at myself for being the cause of Sebastian's death and lying to Flynn about it. Then when I admitted it to him, I freaked and let whatever words flow. My words sounded like they were trying to convince him I was a villain who doesn't want him around.

But I do.

Mom knows I'm not okay. She watched me deteriorate in front of her last year, she can sense when something is wrong. I could tell she wants to question it, although she knows I won't answer.

I forced myself to school today. I'm standing in the main corridor to quickly get my books then avoid the crowd. I open my locker and push myself closer into it so I can almost hide away from the students of Hamilton.

"Whatcha' hiding?" Dianna's voice frightens me when she suddenly pops up beside me. It's hard to miss my long red hair. Her early morning smile and neatly braided hair makes my frown deepen that she doesn't feel exhausted and pained.

"Nothing." I mutter and grab the books I need for first and second period. I close my locker as her eyebrows move inwards.

"Are you okay?" Dianna asks me and adjusts her shoulder bag. I couldn't even attempt to act like I'm okay.

I draw out a long sigh, trying my hardest to push out words when all I want is flood myself with cold water. "Yeah. I'm just a little exhausted." It's not a lie. I am exhausted from my lack of sleep, but I don't tell her the truth.

My chest squeezes when I look at her. The first thought is that she's Flynn's sister and if she knew what he does- she would equally despise me.

"Take a nap during lunch and study hall. You'll feel better." She tells me before scanning her eyes around the hall. "Have you seem Flynn? He's been in a grumpy mood and the moment we stepped in school he practically disappeared." She laughs, almost sounded frustrated.