13| Kyle Reynolds

U N T O L D
T R U T H
chapter thirteen

      Mom pauses for a moment, staying seated across from me with her elbows pressed onto the table top

      Mom pauses for a moment, staying seated across from me with her elbows pressed onto the table top. She sighs, keeping her eyes on me. "It's not to late to change your mind."

        I'm unsure whether she's trying to convince herself or me this information. I glance at my bags that are beside the kitchen door with my pillow stacked on top. "It's fine. Aunt Paula isn't that bad."

      Mom laughs. "She's my sister, I can definitely say she is that bad." Her hand rubs against the table, wiping off anything from the surface to clean it.

       "It's fine mom." I push my chair out and stand up, knowing if I sit down for any longer I would change my mind because of how much my mom is trying to convince me to stay. "It's only few a few nights."

      "It'll feel like a life time for me." She huffs out and grabs my big duffle bag as I grab my pillow and smaller carry bag. "Just make sure to call me when Paula says how many nights you can stay for."

     "I'll call you every night, don't worry." I reassure her as we leave the house and walk to my car I had parked alongside the road instead of the garage.

       I unlock it with my keys and we both toss my bags in the back seat. I turn and wrap my arms around mom, squeezing her frame as I say my goodbye for a few nights.

      "Wait-" Mom's voice stops me when I open the driver's side door. "I think Flynn and Dianna want to talk to you before you head off."

         I follow mom's eyes to the end of our small street where the Davis siblings are indeed walking down, their eyes already cast towards mom and I.

        I fight away thinking about all the questions that flow to my mind when I see them both walking in the direction of my house. Flynn had made it clear he still ready fo talk- well, I wasn't sure anyway. I hadn't gone to school yesterday which was excused by Principle Samuelson after the 'prank', and now I'm taking time away.

       "I don't have time right now." Mom is aware Flynn and I aren't on good terms. Although I didn't tell her what the reasoning for it is because I know she would only see him as someone else who blames me. "Just tell Dianna I'm heading out of town and I'll call her soon. Don't tell her how long because I don't even know when I'll be back."

      I slip into the car and close the door with the window down so I can talk to mom. "Drive safely, okay?" Her deep frown makes my body ache to stay.