18| Consequences

U N T O L D
T R U T H
chapter eighteen

U N T O L D T R U T H chapter eighteen

"Violet-" mom groans. "Make it shut up." I have no energy to roll my eyes at her. I can sleep through the phone ringing, but she can't.

I sigh loudly and pat around next to me on the table until I feel my phone. I pull it hard enough so that the charging cable unplugs itself.

My eyes are barely open when I try to see who has woken mom and I so early in the morning. Flynn's name is plastered on the screen under the time, which indicates it's only eight thirty.

"Hello?" My voice is barely audible when I answer the phone. My eyes shut themselves and I slump back down on the pillow. The horribly uncomfortable pillow.

"Oh, I was wondering why you weren't answering the door." I have to force myself not to drop my phone and fall back to sleep. "I'm out the front, ready to take you to school- which is today if you haven't forgotten and slept in."

My mouth parts and I sigh through it. I had forgotten to message Flynn to say I wouldn't need a ride to school. "Oh, crap I'm sorry. I would of texted you last night but my phone died and mom had to bring me a charger in the middle of the night. But, I'm not home right now."

He pauses for a moment. "Wait, where are you?" He asks and I hear shuffling on the phone like he had starting walking.

"I'm at the hospital." I manage to say through a yawn.

I attempt to say more, but he cuts me off. "At the hospital?" He blurts. "Why are you at the hospital? Are you okay?"

"Just a few minor issues." I yawn again as tiredness begs me to let it win. "I'll be home later, but I won't be able to go to school today." My minor issues could grow worse within the next few hours, but I both doubt it and don't wish for it.

     "People don't normally stay at the hospital for a 'minor issue', Vi." I try and open my eyes so I don't fall asleep in the middle of the phone call. "What ward are you in? I'll bring some snacks."

       "No, it's okay." I stop him before he can start driving towards the hospital. "I'll be home soon anyway. Just go to school and I'll talk to you later?"

      I know I won't be home until late tonight, even possibly tomorrow, but I don't want to make the issue seem worse than it is.

      "Are you sure? I don't have any important classes today." He doesn't give up, but once more I tell him it's okay and that he should go to school. "So what happened? Why are you at the hospital?"

        Mom slowly sits up and yawns. "It's just for some monitoring. The doctors want to make sure everything is okay so I can take some medication." I tell him honestly, leaving the part about it being for a kidney infection. "I'll talk to you later?"