29| The Sixth

U N T O L D
T R U T H
chapter twenty nine

     Meeting my doctor had been a worrying thought

     Meeting my doctor had been a worrying thought. Now that everything is happening, the harsh reality of going through the actual treatment side sets with me.

      It felt like I have been in this standard doctor's room for hours, although since I watched the clock it has only been an hour.

      My doctor is also fully qualified in psychology, meaning he doubles both as a doctor here and my every Tuesday and Thursday hour of therapy.

     He's an older man, his hair completely grey although his face doesn't have a single wrinkle or sign of old age. He seems like a relatively healthy man.

      "Now that we have organised a weekly schedule-" Doctor Graham starts to speak as he collects the sheet slipping out of the printer. "I want to discuss with you medications that I feel are necessary. I know you have made it clear about not wanting any since you have underlying health issues, but, I am going to add a sleeping pill back onto your prescriptions since it was canceled."

        Doctor Graham says while he hands me the sheet with Monday to Friday activities and appointments that is compulsory. "But wouldn't that make it worse?"

        In the past hour, it was mainly an introduction to advised treatments and rules of the facility. The grey haired man reviewed my medical history, and discussed how I am feeling. Not once was I asked about any events I've been through- since he has no clue. Doctor Graham requested we speak about life events when we have more time in a compulsory appointment.

    "Think of it like this, Violet. You said you struggle to sleep, and now that you can't take medication you haven't been sleeping at all. Your body is struggling more because it's not resetting and resting which is why your kidney's are at more of a risk." He explains slowly to me, and the fear of ruining my kidneys morphs into relief that it might not be medication for once to do more damage. "For now try taking them again to give you rest. In your stay here I am happy to work out methods and techniques so you won't have to rely on them."

           Maybe, my stay here isn't such a bad thing. The thought of having a stable sleep schedule cools my burning body down, and knowing that I can be helped to eventually learn to keep it without medication excites me.

     Penn Sterling is not only benefiting the Davis's, but me too. "That sounds good." I agree and he trains his stare to the screen while his fingers being clicking the mouse and typing.

     I lean back into the soft cushioned seat after my spine extended from excitement. For the first time in an hour, silence engulfs the room and my eyes dance over the decorative pieces in the room.

      There's a few drawings stuck to a wall, and I assume they are ones patients had given him as they are all bundled together.

On shelves he has a few different certificates- one for each of his qualifications, his college diplomas, and a certificate with the year 1992 in bold numbers. My eyes narrow as I can barely read the paper tucked in the frame.