43| Say Goodnight

U N T O L D
T R U T H
chapter forty three

My fingers continue to play with each other out of sheer boredom

My fingers continue to play with each other out of sheer boredom. A house filled with Reynolds drained the energy straight out of me. That, and I already have been tired enough since sleeping is a struggle. Both because of my thoughts, and my stitches. I hate sleeping on my back.

We have already had the 'family' dinner. It was the most awkward dinner for me since the only people who acknowledged me where the Davis's. I was over the moon when everyone finished eating and I had a chance to escape to the empty kitchen.

Flynn and Dianna came with me, but Abbey Reynolds's husband called for him. "What about the left over cake?" Dianna makes another food suggestion as she rummages through the pantry.

I stay seated on one of the island stools. "Anything with serious levels of caffeine is good for me." I say through a yawn. It's not even seven o'clock yet and I already feel like curling into bed.

"I can make you a coffee if you would like?" Dianna stops searching for snacks so she can turn to me. "We can have coffees and drink them in my room."

The idea of coffee thrills me. It would suck the exhaustion out. I part my lips to sing my agreement when someone walks through the archway to the kitchen.

At first I think it's Flynn since he wanted to escape here with us, but as I look I see Kyle Reynolds blocking the entry. I hear Dianna let out a loud and quite obvious sigh. "Oh, no flowers this time?"

I avoid acknowledging Kyle Reynolds's presence. I was hoping the silent treatment was enough for him to understand that is my answer- that I don't want to be anything even remotely like friends.

Surely Dianna's snappy attitude would be enough to scare him off back to where ever his biologically family is. "I just want to speak to Violet, Dianna. You don't need to be hostile about it."

"Hey-" Dianna snaps and I look up to her to make sure she doesn't get carried away. That girl has a short fuse. "You're in my house, remember? Be a good boy and run along to your lap dog of a father."

"That's your uncle, Dianna."

"Funny that." I know I should be putting an ending to their bickering before it gets out of hands and a Reynolds's adult stumbles into the feud- but I find Dianna rather amusing. "I'm pretty sure uncles are at least suppose to touch base every now and then to be still considered family. The only reason he is my uncle is because my mom had the hearts to reach out unlike him."

Silence follows from Kyle. I take a quick peak at him to see his eyes closed for a brief moment as he takes a breath. He opens his eyes and looks over to me. "Can we talk alone, or is she going to be joining us?" Kyle nods his head in Dianna's general direction as he asks me this.

I can't keep ignoring him. I wish it was the easy option, but Kyle Reynolds is incredibly persistent. "With all do respect, I got your letter, but I don't agree with it." I start slowly. "You've treated me poorly and said things that were unnecessary. I'm sorry but I just don't want to be friends like you do."