37| Fading Reality

U N T O L D
T R U T H
chapter thirty seven

"Violet, can you come downstairs please?" Mom's oddly calm voice that shouts through the house stops me from completing my homework

"Violet, can you come downstairs please?" Mom's oddly calm voice that shouts through the house stops me from completing my homework. I frown since normally she would yell loudly or come and get me.

I close the thick book with a sign and grab my throw blanket so I can wrap it around myself. School today was perfectly normal for a Friday, except for the painful cold air constantly freezing my skin. Being sick doesn't help my situation.

I walk down the stairs and step into the living room where it sounded like she was. Already I feel short of breath from something as simple as walking down the stairs. Instantly, I notice my mom is not the only one in the house. There are a few other men, all three of them dressed in police attire.

"There's no need to worry." One of the unfamiliar officers says to me when I stop in the entrance. A million different questions swarm my eyes, making me glance at mom to see how she is reacting. She oddly is calm. "We're just here to pass on information from the detective. He's too busy to be here at the moment."

"What's going on?" Mom questions. Sounding rather professional when I can see she internally would be panicking more than I can. I can't think past my swollen body and constant fevers.

"The young boy who had broken into your home and attacked Violet has been handed into police custody." The officers answer forces stress and anxiety off my chest- allowing me to breath in though about it. "He had shown up at a hospital a few towns over with an infection in his blood that was weakening him badly. Obviously the materials he used weren't removed when he stitched himself up and he contracted an infection."

"That's good news." Mom sighs loudly and places a hand over her heart. "What does this all mean now?"

"We'll he was barely a thirty minute drive from here, so he was relatively close." The Officer informs us. My fingers curl tighter around my blanket to seek some sort of grounding. "He has been treated and is in questioning now so we can find the other men and trace his mobile to help."

Mom continues to ask her questions as my brain is incapable of forming my own. "Would the whole attack be apart of Anthony Graham's trial?"

"We are hoping to have them all in custody soon m'am. The young man definitely is going to help speed the investigation. But yes, Anthony Graham will be the overall trial for everyone since they all were involved from him. Everyone will be facing their own separate charges."

I haven't once thought about what it would be like sitting in a courtroom filled with the people who had taken Sebastian Reynolds's life and left mine to crumble away. The image of it all terrifies me, although it's something I would go through to be safe and know they are all in jail.

"We have spoken to the parents of the other two children from Anthony Graham about this, but we want you all to feel safe since we now more officers patrolling areas more regularly. If you have any concerns, just give us a call."