51| New Lives

U N T O L D
T R U T H
chapter fifty one
_______
(4) years later

I don't know why, but I feel nervous while driving past the welcome to Hamilton sign

I don't know why, but I feel nervous while driving past the welcome to Hamilton sign. I haven't been here to visit in months, and a lot has changed since living here.

The last time I visited home for more than two days was last years summer break. Other than that, I haven't lived in Hamilton since I was eighteen.

I laugh at myself. I'm being dramatic. I'm twenty three, it's not like I haven't been here for a long time.

The atmosphere already feels different. I feel a lot more relaxed than I do two states over in the college I go to. "Is this your stop, Miss?" The cab driver asks me as he parks out the front of Hamilton Melts.

"Yes, thank you." I take my wallet out of my bag and pay the driver for the ride from the airport to here. Within moments, I am out of the yellow cab and standing in front of the freshly painted ice cream shop I have missed dearly.

Through all of the haunting things I have been dealing with that have caused a strain on my feelings, I smile brightly. I drag my suitcase behind me as I push open the door, letting the bell above me ring.

There are a few people in here today, from what I can see. The girl behind the glass is unrecognisable to me, but I haven't been here since last year. "Hey, are you Violet?" The young blonde girl asks me, catching me by surprise.

I frown curiously, wondering how the girl knows my name. "Yeah, I am." I answer her and check that my favourite flavour is still there. It is.

"Sorry if I seemed a little weird asking you that." She apologises. "There's a photo of you and Barb hanging up in the back room still. I thought I recognised you." I smile and remember all the good times I had here.

Some of my favourites were dealing with Camila coming in dressed as a movie character in efforts to embarrass me. It never worked. Even the time she wore her underwear on the outside of her outfit. "Yeah, I knew her my whole life."

"She's doing quite well actually for someone her age. I don't even think she's in a nursing home." The blonde girl tells me then picks up a scoop. "So, what flavour will it be?"

"Mango Magic please, in the kids size cup too." It's my tradition I can't stray from. In a matter of seconds the blonde girl has scooped the flavour and placed it in the kid cup. "Thank you." I say as I pay and carry both my ice cream and wheel my suitcase.

I would have loved to sit down in a familiar booth and enjoy the sunny day, but I have too much to do today than waste time. Although, I desperately wanted this ice cream.

I had been craving it for months. I could never find any parlour near college that was anywhere near as good. I use my shoulder to push open the door and start my journey towards my house.