Phone calls

(Piper's POV)

I quickly shuffled back into my office, embarrassed that Polly had caught Alex and I and picked up the landline phone on my desk, answering my mom.
"Piper?"
"Yes hi mom, what can I do for you?" I ask.
"Well honey it's December 23rd, I'm just calling to make sure that you and Alex are still coming up to Connecticut tomorrow, Christmas Eve."
"Yes mom, we are and we can't wait." I say trying to sound enthusiastic. I loved my family and spending time with them on the holiday season but this year Alex and I were hoping we could have a quiet Christmas, just the two of us at home. Prison wasn't exactly private but I guess there was always next year.
"Oh great! Oh Piper, this is going to be so exciting! The whole family here for Christmas, Danny is coming this year since he's going through a divorce at the minute-"
I cut her off,
"Danny's getting a divorce?!" I asked a little too excitedly, my big brother getting a divorce meant I was no longer the one in the spotlight for letting my family down.
"Well don't sound so happy about it Piper. Your brother is in pieces over it." My mother scolded me.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. It's just news for me." I say.
"Yes well, your father and I are looking forward to finally properly meeting Alex since you failed to tell us about her before then married her out of the blue." She said in her usual condescending tone, I rolled my eyes.
"Well she's looking forward to meeting you too." I lied. Truth be told, Alex was dreading it. My parents had obviously met her before when we got married and were nice enough to her but she hadn't properly met or spoken to them so she was dreading that they'd hate her for what she did to me. I had told her that I love her and had long forgiven her and that was all that mattered. She had laughed when I told her I never listened to my parents or their opinions anyway.
"Ok Piper sweetie we'll see you tomorrow, oh and your brother has asked if he can bring someone along, he said you may not like it. I wonder what that means." She tells me trailing off.
"What? What do you mean I may not like who he invited? Which brother?" I ask her confused.
"Cal. And I don't know, he never said who it was, you're better asking him. Anyway, I've got to run, bye honey." She said and hung up.
I put the phone down and within seconds of me doing this, my cell phone started to ring. It was Nicky.
"Hey Nicky what's up?" I ask.
"Piper. Hey. I was wondering if you wanna come Christmas shopping with me right about now?" She asks. I was taken aback, I thought she'd want to go Christmas shopping with Lorna so I voiced this, trying not to sound unhelpful. I checked my watch, it was 7PM?! Jesus, how'd it get so late so quickly?!
"Sure Nicky, I've just finished up at PoPi but I thought you'd want Lorna to come with you?"
"Not if it's for her I don't." She chuckled down the phone.
"Oh, fair enough. Sure Nicky, actually this'll be a good opportunity to get Alex's gift. She's been in her office all day, where should I meet you?" I asked her.
"Times Square." She replies.
"Ok, I'll be there in 10." I said and hang up.
I grabbed my stuff and headed out to meet Nicky, as I walked past Alex's office I looked in, she was still entirely focused on her laptop and making calls. Too busy to notice I was slipping out. I went to Polly's office so I wouldn't disturb Alex again and whatever she was planning. I opened Polly's door,
"Hey Pol, I'm leaving for the night, Nicky wants me to go Christmas shopping with her. When Alex asks where I am, tell her that for me will you?" I ask her.
"Sure Pipe. Have fun." She smiles.
"Thanks Pol." I smile back and leave.