Connecticut

(Alex's POV)

Just over halfway through the journey, Piper started to get sleepy so I finally got to drive my own car. We found a gas station and pulled up to it, the Porsche needed refilling anyway.
Piper and I swapped seats and I went in to pay for the gas. I came back to the car to find her asleep already so I put my free arm around her and started the ignition again. I didn't move the car until I had my GPS ready to go. Piper was right in saying I didn't know where to go but she clearly didn't think about the obvious, every cell phone on the planet now has GPS. I already knew her parents' address so keyed it in and resumed our journey to the Chapmans' for Christmas.
I had packed for Paris as well as Connecticut and did the same for Piper while she took out the garbage this morning. I took great pleasure in packing the underwear of hers that were my favourites and again came across that little black box with the silver ribbon. Wanting to know what that was was eating away at me but I guess I'd find out tomorrow. I'd also packed Piper's Christmas present in my case while she did the garbage duties. I couldn't wait to watch it with her, maybe even her whole family.
I flicked on the radio and put it on a low volume since my wife was sleeping beside me in close proximity to the source of the noise. Piper was always sleeping these days but I guess I was having sex more often with her now since not so long ago I thought I'd lost her. My love and fear had taken a toll on her.
'All I Want For Christmas' came on the radio since they were playing classic and well loved Christmas songs in a loop. I was immediately transported to 10 years ago when I brought Piper to New Jersey to spend Christmas with my mom.
I smiled.
Not only at the memory but at the thought I was finally going to spend Christmas with Piper's family.
As I listened to the song, I took in my surroundings, it was actually quite a beautiful journey.
Finally, 2 hours since we'd left New York, we finally arrived at Piper's parents house and my god was it a house. All those times I'd lovingly mocked Piper about being 'the poor little rich girl' were suddenly coming to mind along with the realisation that I wasn't wrong. As I drove through the neighbourhood, huge detached family houses surrounded us on both sides. All well lit up for Christmas with sparkling lights lining the outside of the houses, some even had light up reindeer and Santas in their front lawn. It really looked like a winter wonderland. These WASPs really went all out for the holidays didn't they?
When I got to the Chapmans' I was in awe. They too had outdoor lights surrounding the top of the house, the trees in the front yard were also covered in twinkling lights and to top it off, the three feet of snow to add that extra Christmas touch.
I took off my seatbelt and gently nudged my little sleeping beauty.
"Pipes. Babe. We're here." I said in a low voice.
"Huh?" She mumbled sleepily and rubbed her eyes. After blinking a couple of times she realised where we were with a startled,
"Oh!"
I laughed as we got out to get our bags.
Piper went in front of me to the double wooden door with a large green Christmas wreath with small LEDs and rang the doorbell to be greeted by her mother.
"Piper! Sweetheart! You made it, Merry Christmas honey!" Her mom chimed as Piper replied,
"Merry Christmas to you too mom."
Carol took her in for a hug and that's when she noticed me.
"And Alex! Merry Christmas to you too honey! God what a car! Come in both of you." She continued and ushered us in to the huge house.
Everyone was here, Piper's parents, her older brother Danny, Cal and Neri who was heavily pregnant.
"Oh you have got to be FUCKING kidding me!" Piper growled angrily.
Larry and Vanessa were here too. I wasn't exactly pleased either.
"Piper would you mind keeping the language to a minimal? Especially at Christmas." Her mom scolded.
Both of us glared at the Blooms to be.
Piper spoke again,
"This is who you were talking about when you said Cal had invited someone I wouldn't be happy with?!" She asked her mother in shock.
Cal answered,
"Sorry Pipes. Bloomer's folks are out of town this Christmas so I offered if they'd like to come stay here."
Piper glared at her younger brother as her upper lip curled.
"Cal, I swear to God! Can I ever escape him?!" She growled, starting forward but I caught her.
"Babe. Chill. It's only for a couple nights." I said in the calmest voice I could muster because if I was being honest I felt the same way as Pipes.
I watched as Vanessa glared at me, obviously she was the type to hold grudges. Sorry but if you're going to bully the love of my life, expect the consequences.
"You two are just in time for dinner." Bill said emerging from the kitchen. Everyone followed him to the Chapmans' large dining room with a table that sat 10 which was handy since there were 9 of us.
I lingered for a bit to take in the very large house that my wife grew up in. Piper and I really were yin and yang. When I was a kid, I was poor and my mom worked 4 jobs to support us and here was the person I was destined to fall in love with and marry, living the polar opposite life. It reminded me of Jessica Wedge but a much hotter, kinder version.
I noticed the huge Christmas tree that Bill and either Cal or Danny had chopped down and brought home. It was covered in baubles and tinsel with about 30 presents underneath it. Stockings hung from their large mantelpiece and the smell of cookies and cinnamon floated through the house.
"Babe, you coming?" Piper asked from behind me.
I turned to face her and smiled,
"Yeah, coming." I said and took her hand.