Piper's flashback of Diane's funeral

(Piper's POV)

"But Pol, Diane was such a great person and me being mad at Alex is really not a good reason not to attend her funeral. I hate myself enough for not going with Alex even as a friend." I explain to my friend.

It was the morning of Diane's funeral. Alex had sent me many texts begging me to come back and that she loved me. I refused to answer her so her last message to me was,

'My mom's funeral is this Thursday if you're even interested. I'd love it if you came, it would mean a lot, maybe we could talk and try to work through this? There was love there and you know it, I don't know about you but there still is for me, stop trying to hide from me Piper. Anyway it's at 1pm and as I said, I'd love you even more if you came. A"

It had been exactly one week since I'd broken up with Alex and I'd spent that week moping at Polly's house wrapped in blankets and surrounded by tubs of ice cream and bottles of wine. Alex clearly wanted me to go to Diane's funeral, she clearly still wanted me, but I knew that if I showed up she'd be mad. Polly was trying to convince me not to go but I felt horrible for leaving Alex in such a way.
My phone beeped again and it was another message from Alex,
'I don't know why I'm even bothering to message you again because I really hate you right now but the priest wants to know how many I'm expecting to show up. Look, Piper, even if you just turned up as a friend it'd mean a lot to me and my mom. A'

"That was Supercunt again wasn't it?" Polly asked with folded arms and a raised eyebrow.
I nodded.
Ever since Polly had met Alex, she'd taken to calling her 'Supercunt'. When I was dating Alex I hated it but now I didn't mind it so much. She used the term more freely now that Alex and I had broken up.
"Are you gonna ignore her again?" She asked.
Again, I nodded.
"Polly, I really think I should go. I mean, it's really disrespectful to not go to someone's funeral. Especially someone who brought you into her home at Christmas and told your ex that you were 'the one' for them." I try to reason with her. Part of me also really wanted to see Alex again.
"Pipe, you literally just broke up with her, it'd send mixed signals if you just suddenly showed up again now without replying to any of her messages, which, by the way, are trying to get into your head. Isn't that what she does? Manipulate you? It may be disrespectful to not go to her mom's funeral but it's also disrespectful to expect your girlfriend to carry drug money across international borders and expect her to do it again with no regard to her safety." Polly rants.
"Yes but I wouldn't be going for Alex, I'd be going for Diane." I tell her.
"Pipe, I've met her! She's a manipulative bitch! You said it yourself, if you turn up there, she'll say all the right things and apologise, you'll melt and BAM she has you back in her bed again smuggling God knows what. It's a bad idea Piper, God!" She exclaims, throwing her arms in the air in frustration.
"Polly, she told me she loved me and I honestly really miss her, she keeps sending me these texts begging me to come back.... I don't think she's in a great place right now Pol. I'm worried about her." I plead with my friend.
"Exactly! She keeps sending you texts! She's making sure you can't forget about her! Plus, she's using sweet terms like 'I'd love it if you came'. Please, she probably means that but in a different sense entirely." Polly says, annoyed, folding her arms again.
"She's just lost her mom Polly. I was the only family she had besides her mom and now she has neither of us. Wouldn't it be the right thing to do to at least give her a shoulder to cry on? Even if it is temporary?" I ask, trying to reason with Polly.
"Okay look. I sympathise with her, really, I do. I mean, the way you broke up with her was horrible. But I also don't trust her. Pipe, if she decided that she really hates you for breaking her heart like that, she could send you to prison for what you did for her. Do you really want round two and see how many more crimes she can add to your resumé? Huh? Do not go to this funeral. It is a bad idea." She says sternly.
I broke down.
"But I'd feel so shit if I didn't go Pol. I really liked Diane and I really really miss Alex." I sobbed.
She came to hug me.
"I know Pipe. I know."