Piper, meet Diane. Christmas Eve flashback

(Alex's POV)

We were at my mom's house for Christmas. I had asked Piper if she would like to come home with me to New Jersey to stay with my mom for the holidays. To my joy, she agreed enthusiastically. This was a big step for me. Having a monogamous relationship in itself for me was a huge deal but bringing the girl to my mom's house and have her spend the holidays with me was definitely unchartered territory, but, my feelings for Piper were undeniable. I loved her.
Piper and I had been dating, albeit secretly on her end, for 11 months now, just under a year. I thought it was time she met my mom even if I couldn't yet meet her parents. She had told her family that she was spending Christmas with some friends of hers from college to be with me.
During dinner, her and my mom got on like a house on fire. I was in heaven. The two people I loved most in the world were laughing together, laughing with me and at me. We wore Santa hats, pulled crackers and told those stupid jokes, it really was the perfect Christmas Eve.
After dinner my mom switched to a music channel on the TV. The commentator spoke saying,
"This one goes out to all of you in love this Christmas" and proceeded to play Mariah Carey's 'All I Want For Christmas Is You.'
Immediately, my mom grabbed mistletoe from the Christmas tree and handed it to me,
"Right lovebirds, let's see how in love you two claim to be." She said laughing.
"Jesus mom! It's nearly our one year anniversary! I'd prefer it if you didn't scare away my girlfriend!" I said, embarrassed.
Piper simply giggled and wrapped her arms around my neck.
"Oh come on Al. This is my favourite Christmas song, don't you want to kiss me?" She said with an adorably mischievous smile growing on her face.
I smiled down at her then looked at my mom who was pushing for me to take the mistletoe.
"Come on sweetheart. You're a Vause. Woman up and kiss your damn girlfriend. She clearly wants you to!" My mom laughed at me.
Piper then started miming the lyrics of the song,
"I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas
Is you."

I smiled and started to lean down to kiss her but she continued, dancing in my arms, swaying from side to side with a grin on her face,

"Cause I just want you here tonight
Holding on to me so tight
What more can I do?
Cause baby all I want for Christmas is you."

I laughed,
"Oh alright when you put it that way babe." I smiled at Piper and turned to grab the mistletoe from my mom and held it above Piper and I.
I kissed Piper as she kissed me back, both of us laughing into our kiss as my mom cheered.
We let the song ride out then all three of us flopped onto the couch to watch a series of Christmas movies before bed. My mom on the right side of the couch, Piper on the left with my arm around her snuggling into me and me in the middle. All of us neatly tucked under a blanket.
During a movie, my mom got up to get another glass of the champagne Piper had brought. I looked down at Piper who had fallen asleep. I slowly and gently removed my arm from around her and laid her out to be fully stretched and more comfortable on the couch, wrapping her in the blanket so she wouldn't get cold.
"Mom, pour me one too will you?" I whispered as I kissed Piper on the head and got up, my mom nodded in response, also not wanting to wake Piper.
She poured me a glass and we leaned on the kitchen island side by side drinking our champagne.
"Well done Vause junior. You did good, she's a great girl, definitely a keeper." My mom smiled, taking a sip of her champagne and patted me on the back, nodding at Piper.
"I'm not even going to deny it. I did do good and ugh, she really is, I'm so lucky to have found her. Thanks mom." I said, smiling lovingly at my sleeping beauty of a girlfriend.
"How come she's the only girlfriend of yours that I've met?" My mom asked.
"Ugh. Trust me mom, the other girls that came before Piper aren't even worth mentioning. Sylvia especially. Piper is..... special." I started, smiling and taking a gulp of my own champagne.
"Well, what did this Sylvia person do that was so awful?" She asked curiously.
"What happened was my fault and I only regret it because of Piper. Sylvia was my most recent girlfriend before Piper, well, when I say girlfriend, Piper is a girlfriend, my girlfriend, Sylvia was... I don't know but 'girlfriend' is pushing it. I wanted to end it so badly but didn't know how, Sylvia was possessive and violent-" I started.
"Jesus honey what did she do to you?!" My mom asked shocked, both of us keeping our voices to a whisper since Piper was asleep.
"Oh not to me. To Piper. Piper came into my life when I was still stuck with Sylvia. We met in a small bar in uptown Manhattan, she was looking for a job and I was just home from another business trip. I kept seeing her around and I liked her so gave her my number. She eventually called so I invited her round to my place. Sylvia came back and caught us, well, you know. Anyway, she punched Piper which resulted in Piper not speaking to me for a full two weeks no matter how many times I tried pursuing her." I finish, taking another sip of champagne.
"Fuck Alex, I don't blame Piper. You could've at least split with Sylvia first." My mom scolded me.
"How?! Piper came into my life all of a sudden and could've walked out of that bar at any given time if I hadn't pursued her! There was no way in hell I was letting a girl like her slip through my fingers! Jesus mom give me a break!" I hiss in defence of myself and continue,
"Anyway. After those 2 weeks, we wound up back in another bar together while Sylvia was there. Have a guess which girl I wanted. I ended it with Sylvia that night and Piper and I had our first date an hour later." I chuckled into my glass.
My mom laughed with me,
"That's nice and all Alex but you still haven't answered my question." She said, raising an eyebrow. I guess I got that from her.
"Okay fine, long story short, you're my mom, only a girl special enough gets to meet you. Especially at Christmas." I said grinning from ear to ear at Piper.
"Well honey there has only been one girl." My mom sighed.
"Exactly mom. Exactly." I said, continuing to grin.
"Alex sweetheart, I've never seen you SO happy before. It's nice." She smiled as I grinned like a Cheshire Cat into my champagne glass. Diane noticed this of course.
"Aw honey you must really love this girl." My mom cooed, also smiling at Piper now.
Piper chose this moment to shuffle in her sleep making a cute humming noise and a faint noise that sounded like she was chewing something. Her lips forming an adorable, content little smile as she smacked her lips quietly together. I fell in love with this sound immediately.
"Yeah. I do. I really do." I sighed, smiling.