Chapter 3: Natural Artist

Precious Sins

Chapter III: Natural Artist

[Adrien's POV]

Art class was quiet, minus the occasional chatter that dented the silence floating around in the air. The smell of chipped wood and wet paint drifted into my nose and morphed with the outspoken silence, sending a wafting euphoria of nostalgia.

Around me, the classroom looked like an art studio of its own, rows and rows of shelves splattered in bright colours carrying paint palettes and brushes, bottles of paints, paper, pencils, pastels, etc. Anything used to create art sat upon those shelves ready to be used to create a masterpiece.

I stood at my easel, paint splattered all over my face and hands, and on the apron I was wearing to protect my clothes. I bit my tongue between my teeth while and stared at the painting in front of me, half finished. It left me clueless. Honestly, I didn't want to screw this painting up; one wrong paint stroke could end it all. That was always a fear I had, screwing up my work, but somehow, it always seemed to turn out okay.

With that in mind, I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and continued painting.

"Wow! That looks incredible Adrien!" A feminine voice exclaimed from beside me. The perky tone had me looking to see none other than Marci, walking over with a smile on her face as she stopped to inspect my half finished painting at a close proximity. Her brown hair was tied up out of her face to prevent paint from getting in her long strands. She had an olive skin tone, and her brown eyes that reminded me of chocolate melts sparkled with jubilance.

"Thanks Marci. Yours looks incredible as well," I replied with a smile. She scoffed and shook her head.

"Nonsense. Mine doesn't even compare to yours. You have a natural talent," She said, reeling her head back as she stood, placing her hands on her hips.

I laughed, "well I appreciate the compliment. But seriously, your project looks good as well. As least you aren't like Daniel over there painting stick figures on his easel."

"Hey! I heard that!" I heard him shout from behind me. I turned around on my stool to see Daniel looking at me with a scoff, his dark brown dreads pulled up into a bun. I smiled at him and Marci laughed.

"How do you expect to pass this class when you're literally painting like a five year old?" Marci asked, moving over to Daniel, who shrugged.

"Hey, this was the only easy class okay? Besides, I'm a builder, not a painter like Adrien," Daniel said.

"Ahh, that reminds me! What are you guys doing after graduation?" Marci perked up, sitting up onto one of the tables so that she was facing the both of us.

"I'm thinking about being a physiotherapist, what about you guys?" Daniel replied, looking at Marci and then towards me. I sighed and shrugged my shoulders.

"Well...I was thinking of attending art school," I said. Painting was the only thing that kept me going; it was both a passion and a dream of mine to become a famous artist. If I ever saw my paintings in an art gallery, I would honestly faint. I wanted to sell my paintings and make money off them. It was something I loved to do. No other occupation caught my eyes besides painting.

Daniel opened his mouth to speak, but Marci cut him off, "no offense, but painting isn't really going to get you anywhere, is it? I mean, it isn't really a career."

"What are you talking about Marci? Adrien's paintings are fucking awesome. I bet he'd be able to sell them off pretty quickly. He has pure talent and a clear passion for it," Daniel said, making me smile. The compliment warmed my heart to the very core.