Chapter 36: Shards Of Glass

Precious Sins

Chapter XXXVI: Shards Of Glass

[Adrien's POV]

Dread pooled in the pits of my stomach when I arrived at school the following Monday. I wasn't looking forward to school because of everything that's happened last week. Everything had been so good these past few months, and now it had all fallen apart this week and this week alone. How could so much have happened in such a short amount of time? It was like my entire world changed, and now, I was alone.

At least, that's what it felt like. I kept my phone off the entire weekend, too scared to look at it. The house has been quiet without Preston, and the bed had been cold and heartless, and I hated every minute that passed not having Preston to talk to, knowing that he now hated me. That was the worst feeling in the world, having your best-friend hate you. The feeling was similar to drinking a gallon of poison and having it kill your insides slowly. It was similar to stabbing your heart with a million shards of glass and bleeding out of every gash. That's how it felt.

I took a deep breath, mentally psyching myself up before I headed inside. I kept my head down as I passed through the main foyer and up the main stairs to the second floor. I heard a few of the seniors whisper as I walked by, and I could feel their stares all around me. It made my skin crawl. I desperately wanted to skip school and go back home and pretend I didn't exist.

Not existing seemed much more appealing right now.

I stopped in my tracks. Just as I was about to approach my locker, I stopped when I saw Preston there, grabbing his books from his locker beside mine. My heart pounded in my chest, from both pain and anxiety, and when Preston finally noticed and his eyes met mine, I fought hard not to start crying.

And I stupidly didn't do anything else but stand there and stare at him. Preston stared back, but only for a moment before a frown took over his face. He shrugged his bag over his shoulder, shut his locker, and without another word or glance, he was walking away.

It felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest all over again.

I almost started crying, but I pushed down the emotions and moved to my locker, taking off my coat and grabbing my necessary textbooks. I gasped as someone suddenly bumped into me and caused me to drop my books, and they nearly slammed me face-first against my locker.

"Watch where you're going, slut," The guy who bumped into me said to me, his friends bursting out in laughter. My face turned red out of shame and embarrassment. Several eyes turned to me and my heart pounded hard against my chest from the anxiety that was welding up inside of me.

The guy smirked at me and laughed, because I stupidly didn't answer him, and instead quickly turned to face away from them. I could still hear their laughing even as they walked away.

Haha! What a fucking slut.

Did you hear what he did to Preston? He cheated on him with that Carter guy.

Didn't know the queen had it in him to act like such a bitch.

Tears filled my eyes. I hurriedly bent down to pick up my books off the floor. Their words echoed in my head as I got up from the ground, slammed my locker shut, and hurried down the crowded hallway.

I couldn't face going to class and instead rushed to the second-floor bathroom, pushing my way into the bathroom and locking myself into one of the stalls. I sat down on the toilet seat with my hands over my face and cried. The tears rolled down my face, blurring my vision and I couldn't stop it. I just cried because of the pain in my chest, and the repeated words playing over and over in my head.