Chapter 37: Art Is My Escape

Precious Sins

Chapter XXXVII: Art Is My Escape

[Adrien's POV]

We spent the rest of the lunch hour and then some at the diner, Asher stuffing his face with fries and a burger. He wasn't kidding when he said he was craving it, because he wolfed down his entire meal within the span of ten minutes.

Even then, he still had room for dessert.

But after having lunch at the diner, we went back to Daniel's place, where we relaxed on the couch and watched a couple of episodes of a show on Netflix. Daniel's parents weren't home, so it was just the three of us in a big empty house. I had spent the rest of the school hours hanging at their place, and by the time two-thirty hit, Daniel dropped me back off at Preston's place.

It had been a good distraction, even if it was just for a little while. The entire weekend and all morning, Preston and Carter plagued my mind, and I couldn't get the thoughts to go away. They just stared there. I haven't felt this bad since elementary school. It was like what happened in elementary was happening all over again except Preston wasn't there to help me. He was hurt because of me.

And I hated the thought of that.

"Thanks for helping me out today, I really appreciate it," I said to Daniel and Asher by the time we pulled up into the driveway at Preston's house. Asher turned to look at me and smiled.

"Will you be okay?" Asher asked. I released a slow breath and nodded my head.

"Yeah...I think so."

"Take care of yourself," It was Daniel's turn to speak. He looked at me with slight concern in his tone. I smiled at him.

"I will, thanks, guys."

I stepped out of Daniel's car. I waved my goodbyes at the two of them and walked up the front porch. I unlocked the door just as Daniel pulled out of the driveway and left. I stepped inside the house, kicking off my boots and coat, I could smell my mom's baking from the kitchen.

I dropped my bag onto the bench and wandered down the short hallway into the kitchen. My mom was standing by the stove, a fresh batch of blueberry muffins on the stove while she prepped another batch to go into the oven.

"Hey, mom," I greeted her. Mom turned her head to face me, a smile crossing her face. My cat Ruby wandered into the kitchen, meowing and rubbing on my legs. I picked her up into my arms, kissing her head and rubbed her ears.

"Hey sweetheart, how was school?"

"It was good," I replied, raising a slight brow, "you okay mom?"

Her eyes looked a bit red as if she had been crying earlier and instantly made me worried. Mom nodded her head, waving off my concerns.

"I'm fine, hun. Don't worry about me," She said, a heavy sigh leaving her lips, "though, Jackson and I have to talk to you and Preston about something once they get home. Just letting you know now."

I nodded my head slowly, a wave of questions flooding my head, but I decided not to say them out loud. My questions would be answered later once Jackson got home, so there wasn't a point in asking them now. I watched as my mom slid another tray of muffins into the oven. I put Ruby down onto the floor and walked over to snatch one of the muffins that were cooling off on top of the stove, peeling off the muffin liner as I took a bite out of the muffin.

"Also, though," My mom spoke up suddenly, making me look back up at her with a raised brow. She brushed off her apron, and grabbed all of the dirty dishes off the counter as she started rinsing them off, "there's something else I wanted to ask you about."