Chapter 43: Watercolour Tears

Precious Sins

Chapter XLIII: Watercolour Tears

[Adrien's POV]

I forgot how comforting it was to lay in Preston's arms. It had been so long since we laid close like this, let alone talked, and I just wanted the feeling to last a little longer. If anything, I didn't want to let go of him. I didn't want to leave the comfort of his arms, because if I let go, then I was afraid that he might leave me again, and I didn't want to lose him a second time.

Much to my despair, Mom had walked back into the room with the doctor, and so I had no choice but to remove myself from Preston's warmth. The moment Preston let go of me and slipped out of bed, leaving nothing empty space where he previously laid, I wanted to cry all over again.

"Hello Adrien, it's nice to see you awake," The doctor greeted kindly. I didn't say anything. I fell silent and instead burrowed into the bed, pulling the covers up higher over myself to the best of my ability.

"How are you feeling, are you in any pain?" The doctor asked. I shook my head at first, but after a moment of silence I spoke up.

"My...my wrists hurt," I said quietly.

"How much do they hurt? Is it bearable?"

I nodded my head. The doctor talked to me for the next several minutes and gave me a medical assessment which consisted of a variety of questions that I didn't really want to answer, but I did anyway, as briefly as possible. He also took a quick look at my bandaged wrists, making sure everything was still in place.

When he was done, he wrote a few things down on his clipboard, before he looked back up at me, and my mom, "alright. I'm going to have the psychologist come down to talk to Adrien, to give him a mental health assessment and overall suicide risk evaluation. Once that is done, I will chat with the psychologist and we'll have a talk to discuss further options."

"Alright, thank you," Mom nodded at the doctor. He smiled gently.

"Of course. Adrien will have to be alone for the assessment, but the psychologist will talk to you two as well afterwards," He said, "alright, I'll be back soon."

Then, the doctor left. The next ten minutes or so were spent in silence, no words being exchanged from Mom, Preston or I. I wanted to crawl under the blankets and hide, but I didn't.

Eventually, there was a knock, and shortly after, a woman walked into the room, whom I assumed was the psychologist. She looked pretty young, the possibly early thirties, and she had her dark red hair pulled back out of her face in a ponytail. Unlike the doctor, she was dressed in a pair of trousers, heels, and a cardigan, her hospital ID card hanging around her neck.

"Adrien Aguilera, is it?" The woman asked, and when I nodded, she smiled, "I'm Dr. Wynn, the child and adolescent psychologist that works here in the hospital. But you can just call me Katelin," she then turned to mom and Preston, "and you're his mom, is that right?"

"Ah, yes. Meghan," Mom nodded, and she briefly shook hands with the psychologist, "this is Preston, he's Adrien's best friend."

"It's nice to meet the both of you," Katelin smiled, and shook Preston's hand as well, "I will be having a chat with the two of you afterwards if that's alright, but for now, I'd appreciate having the room alone with Adrien while I talk to him."

"Of course, that's no problem," Mom smiled at the psychologist. Then she looked at me, "we'll just be right outside, alright hun?"

I nodded. I watched as mom and Preston exited the room, leaving me alone with Katelin. Once it was just the two of us, Katelin walked over to sit down in the chair near my bed, a smile on her face.