Chapter 31: Paint Splatter

Precious Sins

Chapter XXXI: Paint Splatter

[Adrien's POV]

After the cake was baked and fully cooled down, I helped my mom make the buttercream frosting. Then, she got to work on decorating the cake, and while she did that, I watched with my hip leaning against the counter as I used a spoon to eat the remainder of the icing in the bowl, just because it tasted so good. She had put little bits of the icing into separate bowls and used to food colouring to make them different colours, and created a paint splatter effect all over the cake.

And by the time she was done and wrote Happy Birthday Adrien on top of the cake, it just made me want to eat it more. My mom was amazing at what she does. Her baking and cooking were astounding and she impressed me every time. I was surprised that she never decided to pursue a career in cooking because I knew how much she enjoyed it. Making food was her passion, just like how painting and drawing was my passion.

"Ugh, the cake looks so good! I can't wait to eat it later," I groaned, stuffing another spoonful of icing into my mouth. Mom laughed, shaking her head with a smile as she placed the cake into the glass cake stand, and set it aside onto the counter.

"Seeing as you're eating all the icing, I think you'll be able to wait," She smiled. I returned the smile, finishing off the icing before I put the bowl into the sink.

"You know, you should open your own bakery or something. I never knew why you didn't decide to ever pursue a career in cooking," I said to her.

 I never knew why you didn't decide to ever pursue a career in cooking," I said to her

"Oh, Uhm, of course, I wanted to. But you were my first priority and I wanted to make sure that you were fed and happy. I didn't want to risk opening up my own bakery or restaurant and having it not turn out well," She said, tossing the dirty utensils into the sink, before grabbing a damp cloth, "and even if I wanted to now, Jackson is so busy with work. Who would take care of the house?"

"Mom," I frowned at her. To me, that seemed a little unfair. I could see you in her eyes that she wanted to do it - to own a bakery or a restaurant. And yet, she was putting everyone else first. She was always like that, making sure everyone else's happiness before her own. Before I could say anything about it, mom smiled reassuringly at me and patted my cheek.

"Don't worry about it sweetheart, I'm alright where I am. Besides, it's your birthday, we're celebrating you today!" She smiled and pinched my cheek. I rolled my eyes and smiled.

"I'm still allowed to care about my own mother. I'm eighteen now, you can stop worrying about me and start pursuing your own desires. You're still young."

"I know, but I'm always going to worry about you because you're my child, no matter how old you get. A mother never stops worrying about their child," She smirked, "you'll understand once you become a Mada and have your own children to worry about."