Chapter 45: Red Velvet Cake

Precious Sins

Chapter XLV: Red Velvet Cake

[Adrien's POV]

"Adrien, are you ready to go?"

I glanced up at the nurse as she stood at the door to my room, a soft smile on her face. I nodded my head hesitantly, and that's when I stood up from where I sat on the edge of the bed, while she walked over to grab my packed-up suitcase for me.

I was going to be heading home today. It was Monday morning, April 12th, and I had packed up all of my stuff the night prior with the help of a nurse. Even though I slowly started to be able to do more with my wrists, I still wasn't allowed to do anything that involved pulling or lifting anything heavy, so the nurse had to be the one to lug my suitcase out of my room.

"Your mom is just at the front desk signing your discharge papers," the nurse said, heading to the door with my suitcase in tow, "are you excited to be able to go back home?"

"Ah, yeah...I am," I nodded my head.

"Do you still have the prescription the doctor gave to you?" The nurse asked me. I nodded, pulling out the piece of paper from my pocket, and waved it at her.

"Yup, still have it."

"Perfect," the nurse smiled, "well, let's go then. Your mom is probably eager to take you home."

I hesitantly followed the nurse out of the room, but not without a glance back into the room, which was now bare and vacant of my stuff like it had been before I was assigned the room as if I never stayed here in the first place. With a heavy sigh, I turned my back to the room I had stayed in for the last ten days, and followed the nurse down the hallway, past all the other patient rooms, offices, and the common room until we reached the front desk and the large double entrance doors.

This wouldn't be my last time here; I would be back on Thursday for another therapy appointment with Katelin, and the following Tuesdays and Thursdays after that for however long she deemed fit. Plus, I would also be back at the hospital again on Friday to have my stitches removed.

At the front desk, Mom was signing the discharge papers as the nurse had said with the lady standing behind the desk. She had taken the day off work today so that she could pick me up, and spend the day with me considering we haven't really spent quality mother-son time together in a while even before my attempt. Part of me felt like she was doing this because she felt guilty, because when she came for visits I could see the look in her eyes, and I felt guilty for making her feel like it was her fault when it wasn't.

Just as the nurse and I approached Mom, she had finished signing the discharge papers, and she thanked the lady behind the desk before turning to look at me with a smile. The nurse set my suitcase down next to me, which Mom took into her own hands.

"You two have a safe trip home, yeah?" The nurse said to us. Mom smiled at her.

"Yes, thank you," Mom said. The nurse said a quick goodbye to me, and then, she was walking off. Mom then turned to face me.

"Are you ready to go?" Mom asked. I nodded.

"Yeah...I'm ready," I nodded, albeit hesitant. Mom smiled at me and leaned over so that she could kiss my cheek.

"It'll be nice to finally have you back home," She said, her eyes suddenly watering, "I've missed having you home. I'm sure the cats miss you too."

Tears threatened to blur my vision at the sight of Mom near tears, but I held them back as I nodded my head, saying nothing else. Then, I took a deep breath to calm myself down, and I followed Mom through the double doors and to the hospital elevators.