Chapter 39: The Heart Breaks

Precious Sins

Chapter XXXIX: The Heart Breaks

[Adrien's POV]

It was weird to think about moving back into my old house. It's only been five months since my mom and I moved in with Preston and Jackson, but it honestly has felt like it's been longer than that. The four of us have always been very close growing up. Preston and I were inseparable and our parents were just as close to each other as Preston and I were. The four of us were family, but now our family had been torn apart, and the pain just got worse as time led by.

It was exhausting to think about. All my energy was wasted on thinking about how shitty life was, and I no longer had the energy to do anything else. It was a struggle just to get out of bed in the morning, but I had to because I didn't want my mom to worry about me.

I was standing in Preston's driveway, watching as Jackson helped the two movers he hired to pack up our boxes into their moving van. My mom was getting the cats situated in the backseat of our car, and Preston was standing behind me on the front porch, Kodey beside him. He was wrapped up in his winter coat, his arms crossed over his chest.

I didn't look his way. His presence was overbearing enough so I didn't dare to look back at him, Instead, I just watched Jackson and the movers. They loaded up the last of our boxes into the moving van. Once they were done, the two movers closed the back doors of the van.

"Alright, that's the last of the boxes," Jackson said, wandering over to where Preston and I were standing. Mom wandered over as well, cheeks red from the cold, and as she and Jackson exchanged a quick glance, he smiled softly. I could see the faint flicker of sadness in his eyes, "call me when you get back so that I know you got there safely."

"I will don't worry," Mom smiled at him. Jackson nodded, and the two of them exchanged a quick hug. Mom pulled back with a cheeky grin and patted Jackson's chest, "I will also let you know if I hear any news from that job I applied for."

Jackson snorted, "yeah, you better."

Mom laughed. She winked Jackson's way and then pushed past me to go give Preston a big hug. I bit my lip, watching as mom pulled Preston into a hug and held him tight for a moment, and then turned my gaze back to Jackson as he opened his arms up for me.

"What, I don't get a hug goodbye?" Jackson feigned hurt. I laughed, smiling crookedly at him before I stepped over, and let him pull me into a tight hug.

"Thanks for everything," I murmured, hugging Jackson tight. He patted me on the back softly, and when we pulled apart, he smiled down at me.

"Of course," He nodded, "and whatever is going on with you and Preston, I hope you two are able to work things out."

I blinked, nodding wordlessly. Jackson ruffled my hair, and I watched as he walked over to the front porch where Preston and my mom were talking.

I was shocked that Jackson knew about what was going on between me and Preston. Did Preston tell him everything? Did he tell Jackson that I cheated on him? Did Jackson hate me now too? Is it part of the reason why he and my mom decided to break up? Fuck, what if he told my mom too?

I shook my head, rubbing my hands against my face. My heart started to pound against my chest, and I could sense a tremor creeping up through my limbs, and I had to force myself to calm down so that I didn't start having a panic attack in front of everyone. Though I found it challenging to push away the brewing anxiety, so I chose to mask it instead.

When I pulled my trembling hands away from my face, letting them fall back down at my sides, mom approached me with a soft grin on her face, "you alright Adrien?"