Chapter 42: Heart Of Glass

TW: Suicide Attempt (the actual act of it happening isn't shown, but I do show the aftermath. I use words such as blood and cuts, so please take care of your mental health and skip this chapter if you know it will trigger you).

Precious Sins

Chapter XLII: Heart Of Glass

[Preston's POV]

"I can't believe you got yourself suspended," Dad said in disbelief, eyes on the road ahead of him as he drove, "what the hell were you thinking?? Clearly, you fucking weren't when you decided to beat up someone in the middle of a school hallway!"

I stayed silent, listening to my dad rant about my behaviour. Needless to say, he was pissed at me. I crossed my arms across my chest, leaning back against the passenger seat as I looked out the car window, watching the trees and scenery whip by.

After getting my bloody nose cleaned up at the nurse's office, I had gotten lectured by the principal in his office. He had also called my dad to tell him what happened and to come pick me up because, for my poor behaviour, the principal had given me a two-week suspension. I honestly could care less though, because I was satisfied enough with beating the crap out of Carter for what he did to Adrien. He had deserved it even if the principal didn't see it. And clearly, my dad couldn't see it either.

"You know, I had to pull away from my work, right? I drove all the way from work to come deal with you and your fucking stupidity," Dad shook his head, fuming in his seat, "I am disappointed in you, Preston. Why the hell would you get in a fight at school, huh? That is so unlike you to do that. I raised you better. I thought I raised you better than to lay a hand on another person. I didn't raise you to be a violent person. I—"

"Okay, shut the hell up, would ya?" I finally snapped, turning my attention to dad with a scoff, "Carter fucking deserved that beating, and I would do again. I don't regret what I did, not at all actually, because he forced himself on Adrien, and ultimately, tried to ruin Adrien's life alongside Marci, because that bitch was angry at him for dating me. So yeah, I think me beating him to a pulp is justified."

Dad didn't say anything at first. He kept his eyes focused on the road, silence enveloping the car, and for the next few minutes, all I could hear was the soft purr of the engine.

Then, after a few minutes, just as we turned onto our street, he replied, "I understand, but violence isn't going to get you anywhere with a situation like that. You're just going to end up in more trouble. I'm grounding you, for two weeks, until your suspension is over."

"What?!" My eyes widened, "Dad—"

"I'm serious," He gave me a look just as we pulled up into the driveway, "for two weeks. You're not allowed to go anywhere, and no one is allowed to come over. I'm taking away your video games. You will focus on your schoolwork. I don't care if you're eighteen. You live under my roof, and you follow my rules. Do you understand me?"

"That's so unfair," I groaned, shaking my head in disbelief.

"Well, life isn't fair, Preston."

With that, Dad shut off the car and got out. I stepped out of the car after him, begrudgingly followed him to the front door, and inside the house. I didn't care if he was grounding me. I was going to visit Adrien today. That had been my intention before Carter got in the way and I ended up in the principal's office, and if he has to ground me for another two weeks because of it, then I didn't care.

I kicked off my shoes and coat, watching as dad set the keys onto the shelf before he disappeared into the kitchen. I dropped my bag onto the bench, waited a few seconds, listening to my dad shuffle around the kitchen. When I knew that he wouldn't come back out and notice me leaving, I quickly put back on my shoes and coat. I grabbed the car keys off the shelf and hurried my way back out the door.