Chapter 27: Love So Hard

Precious Sins

Chapter XXVII: Love So Hard

[Adrien's POV]

The walk back home was silent. The entire walk from the school to our place in the cold weather, we didn't say a word. I knew it was because we had an argument earlier, but I just wished he talked to me. It felt weird walking home together without saying a single word to each other because usually, we were talking and laughing up a storm.

I frowned. Maybe if I just told Carter to leave me alone the first time he came up to me, this never would have happened. Preston would have never gotten mad at me, and we wouldn't be arguing right now. He would have walked me to class, and he would talk to me on our walk home. It was my fault that he was mad at me and I didn't like it.

When we got home, Preston unlocked the front door and we stepped inside. We were greeted by a barking Kodey and a silent house, all of the lights off, though the open windows kept the house bright. I watched as Preston knelt down and ruffled Kodey's fur. I smiled gently at the interaction, but then my smile faded and I started taking off my boots, scarf, and coat.

"I'm going upstairs," I sighed heavily. I hung up my coat before I grabbed my bag and headed to the stairs. Preston stood up from his kneeling position on the ground, his gaze moving towards me.

"Yea, sure."

I headed upstairs to our bedroom. I turned on the light, smiling softly when I noticed both my cats, Ruby and Shelby, fast asleep on the bed, curled up next to the pillows. I closed the door, walked over to the bed, and laid down with them. Ruby lifted her head as I laid down, her sleepy eyes looking in my direction. She yawned, stretched her front paws, and got up to move closer to me, only to lay back down, curled up against me.

My heart swelled. I pet her head, rubbed her ears, and ran my fingers through her fur, making her purr in response. Ruby has always been close to me, ever since I was a child. When I first saw her as a kitten, I begged my mom to take her home, and it didn't take much effort because my mom couldn't help it either. Ruby was adorable and it was hard to resist her.

And now, here we were. She was getting older now, creeping up to thirteen years, but I loved her. Her and Shelby both. They always seemed to be there when I was upset just to comfort me, and it always made me feel better to lay with them and pet them for a few hours, just by myself.

I was about to close my eyes when the door opened, and when I looked over, I saw Preston standing there.

"Hey...can we talk?" He stepped into the bedroom, softly closing the door behind him.

"Uh...yea, sure," I nodded. I bit my lip, careful not to disturb Ruby as I sat up on the bed, swinging my legs off the bed. Preston stopped once he was standing in front of me, leaning his hip against the dresser as he crossed his arms.

I watched him quietly. For a brief moment, he looked as if he was thinking about something. Then, he released a heavy sigh.

"Look...I'm sorry for what I said earlier. I didn't mean to yell, nor did I intend to tell you what to do. I just...wanted to warn you about Carter. He pisses me off, he truly does, and I don't like that he's been talking to you."

I bit my lip at his apology. He was looking at me with a sincere look in his gaze, so I knew that he really meant it. I looked at him for a long moment, before releasing a heavy breath, and stood up from the bed.

"It's okay, I appreciate your apology. And I'm sorry for not saying anything, but I didn't think it was necessary cause it wasn't like he was hitting on me or anything. He was just being nice," I said to him, "I know...you don't like Carter, but you've never mentioned what he's done to make you not like him, and he's been nothing but nice to me so I don't see a reason for me to be rude to him."