Chapter 20: A Lover's Kiss

Precious Sins

Chapter XX: A Lover's Kiss

[Preston's POV]

By the end of the third quarter, we managed to get in a couple more touchdowns. The opposing team had managed to catch themselves up to our scores, but we were still in the lead, and we were going to keep it that way up until the very end.

We were going to win this thing.

The sky was dark. It was seven-thirty in the evening, the stadium lights flickered on to brighten the field, and the wind had gotten chillier as the temperature dropped a few degrees. But if anything, the cold was nice. I was sweating underneath my uniform and I was pretty sure that my hair was soaked underneath my helmet.

But I wasn't tired yet. I was still riled up, blood pumped full of adrenaline. I was ready to tackle down any of our opponents in order to get another touchdown. I wasn't going to stop until we won. Until I got that field kiss from Adrien as he promised.

Yes. That was what I was most excited about besides winning the actual game. I couldn't wait for the final horn to blow, to signal the end of the game and our victory, to have Adrien come running down the bleachers and onto the field, jumping into my arms as his lips met mine. I wanted to hold him in my arms with his legs around my waist and spin him around. I wanted to celebrate with him.

I shifted my gaze to the bleachers. In the middle of the crowded stadium, Adrien was sitting with our parents and all of our friends. I didn't expect our parents to come, but it was a nice surprise to see my Dad come watch the final game before the playoffs. Usually, he was busy working at the art gallery in the city so he never had time to come watch. It made me smile knowing that he was here.

"Okay kings. The fourth quarter is about to start. This is the final quarter! Let's knock their socks off!" Coach Annesley said to us, gaining my attention once more. She stood in the center as our team all huddled together in a big circle, and looked at all of us with a proud smile. She was fired up much like the rest of us.

"Yes, coach!" Brandon shouted from beside me. I grinned and smacked him on the back.

"Oh, we'll knock their socks off alright."

"Great! Now come on! Let's kick some butt!" She smirked and threw her hand down. The rest of us piled our hands on top of each other.

"3, 2, 1, GO RED FOXES!" We cheered in unison, throwing our hands up in the air. Then, one by one, we jogged over to the center of the field, where the referee was waiting for us, football tucked underneath his arm. Joseph had jogged up beside me, clasping me on my back to gain my attention.

He didn't say anything, but the smile and the nod he gave me through the cage of his helmet gave me all the information I needed. I smirked knowingly, nudged him on the head, and hurried over to the center of the field. The music that had been playing through the speakers in between quarters died down, and now, there was silence. I was given the ball by the referee, and then, I positioned myself in front of our quarterback.

I inhaled a deep breath, looked at the opposing team ahead, and then, I quickly snapped the ball back to the quarterback, "SAY HIKE!"

Caden, our quarterback, caught the ball in his hands and that's when our five linemen pushed back next to Caden to pass-protect as the offense team rushed forward, shoving them away to protect Caden from getting tackled down. That was when he dropped back, handed the ball to Joseph as he ran forward, and then started sprinting down the field.

I quickly tackled one of the opposing players down to the ground, giving Joseph a breakaway and he went sprinting as fast as he could, players rushing after him. He kept running. Players were tackled left and right, and Joseph just barely missed a player from the other team as they jumped in front of him to tackle him down, but he managed to slip past. The crowd went wild, cheering and hollering his name, and when he reached the field goal and got yet another touchdown, the crowd had begun screaming and waving their streamers and pom poms in the air.