Chapter 50: A Kiss Goodbye

Precious Sins

Chapter L: A Kiss Goodbye

[Adrien's POV]

After prom was over, the eight of us got into our designated cars and drove back to Kourtney's house to hang out and celebrate. We decided to skip the after-party, because we thought it would be more fun if it were just our friend group hanging out, which definitely did sound more enjoyable than hanging out with all the other senior students.

When we arrived at Kourtney's place, we had changed out of our prom clothes and into comfy clothes. We hung out in her kitchen, music playing from the radio on the kitchen counter. Kourtney had bowls of chips and candy set up on her kitchen island, as well as a cupcake bar, where we got to decorate our own cupcakes with different flavours of frosting and types of toppings.

Kourtney brought out the wine glasses and non-alcoholic drinks, such as the pink lemonade we had that one time and a few other juice-type drinks. I poured myself some of the lemonade into a wine glass, popping a few gummy bears into my drink.

I leaned against the island, sipping my drink and snacking from the chip bowl while I watched Phoebe and Asher mess around at the cupcake bar, dancing and laughing with the music. Daniel, Joseph, and Kade were lounging around the kitchen table with drinks and food while chatting away.

I couldn't stop thinking about the song Preston sang back at prom. When the song ended, and everyone in the room clapped and cheered for him, I had been at a loss for words.

Just by listening to the lyrics, I knew that the song was directed at me, and what the two of us have been through the last few months. I understood what he was trying to say with the song—he wanted us to try again. To make our relationship work.

My heart pounded against my chest. I didn't really know how to react. What was I supposed to say? Yes? That I wanted to try again? I didn't know if I was ready. When I was dating Preston, everything had felt so good, but now, after everything that happened with Marci and Carter, I was scared to open myself up again. I wanted to date Preston so bad, that my selfish actions nearly ruined my life. Was I willing to risk that again?

I felt a hand touch my shoulder, and when I snapped out of my thoughts, I looked up and saw Preston now standing beside me.

"You okay?" He asked, tilting his head with a raised brow, "you were spacing out."

I paused, glancing away slightly as I took another sip of my lemonade, and nodded my head slowly, "Yeah...I'm fine. I was just thinking."

"About what?"

"The song you sang," I replied bluntly. I felt Preston stiffen beside me, but I wasn't looking at him, so I didn't see his reaction. I tapped my fingers against the wine glass, my eyes wandering over the marble texture of the island counter.

"Look...Adrien—"

"Let's not talk about it now," I straightened my back, pushing off the counter as I picked up my wine glass. I lifted my eyes to meet Preston's gaze; his gaze was both concerned and nervous. I bit my lip, "let's just enjoy ourselves while we're here. We'll talk about it when we get back to my place."

"I..." Preston paused before he sighed and nodded his head hesitantly, "...alright."

I patted his chest softly before I brushed past him, joining Phoebe and Asher at the cupcake bar. I could feel Preston's gaze on me as I grabbed a cupcake, putting icing and sprinkles on it all the while I joined in on the conversation Phoebe and Asher were having as he showed her a few funny videos. I only got the courage to glance back at Preston when I felt him walk past us to join Joseph, Daniel, and Kade at the kitchen table.