Chapter 17: The First Step

Precious Sins

Chapter XVII: The First Step

[Adrien's POV]

"Asher Wolfe?"

Asher stiffened the moment a nurse stepped into the waiting room and called out his name. He looked like he wasn't going to get up, but I was able to pull him up from his seat and walk him over to the nurse with my mom in tow. The nurse smiled at us and guided us down a small hall and into one of the exam rooms, where she briefly checked Asher's height, weight, and blood pressure.

"Just sit up on the exam table and the doctor will be with you in just a moment," She said. My mom thanked her, and with a smile, the nurse stepped out of the room and closed the door.

Asher sat up on the exam table, shoes and coat kicked off. He looked nervous by the way he took a deep breath and fiddled his fingers. I frowned from where I sat on the chair beside my mom.

"You'll be fine, Asher," I told him. He glanced up from his hands.

"I-I'm just scared..." He murmured.

"You'll get through this. This is only the first step. Everything will work itself out in the end," I said. Asher paused to take another deep breath before he nodded his head.

It didn't take much longer before the door opened, and in came Dr. Sullivan. Her first name was Kendall, and she was one of my mom's good friends. I remembered her from when I was in elementary because she used to come over all the time to hang out with my mom and their other friends; Kendall was in university at the time studying to be a doctor, and now seeing that she was one, made me smile. I hadn't seen her for a long time either so it was nice to see her.

"Oh, Adrien! You've gotten so big!" Kendall exclaimed the moment she closed the door. She had a bright smile on her face, "Meghan, it's so nice to see you too!"

"Ah, it really has been a while hasn't it?" My mom laughed. She got up, and the two of them exchanged a hug before she sat back down. Kendall pulled out the stool from under the desk, and sat down, rolling forwards until she was stopped next to Asher.

"So...Asher, yes?" Kendall asked. Asher paused before nodding his head, silent at first due to his nerves. She flashed him a soft smile, "It's nice to meet you. I'm Dr. Sullivan, but you can call me Kendall if you'd like. Everything we talk about and go through today is completely confidential, meaning it stays between us. If you'd like Adrien and Meghan to leave, that's up to you."

"N-No...they can stay," Asher murmured. Kendall nodded, briefly looking down at the clipboard in her hand, and back up again.

"Okay. First things first...I just wanted to ask you about your home environment. I know it's something you might be uncomfortable talking about, and that's okay...but as your doctor, I want to make sure you are safe where you are living," Kendall stated, "Meghan mentioned something about not being able to tell your father. Is there a reason why?"

Asher frowned. He bit his lip and looked down at his lap, "m-my dad...would be mad if he found out."

"Is that the only reason...? Should I be worried about your safety?" Kendall asked. Asher went completely silent. He didn't say anything at first, and that was what concerned me the most.

"No, he'd just be mad," Asher murmured. He didn't say anything else after that. Kendall smiled gently at him, and instead of asking more about his home life, she started asking him other questions relating to his health. More specifically, how long he has been sexually active, if he takes any medication, etc.

"Okay sweetheart. I'm going to give you an ultrasound first, just to confirm if you are indeed pregnant, and determine how far along you are and all that. Then, I'm going to have to give you a physical," Kendall said. She stood up from the stool and set her papers down onto her desk. Asher nodded his head stiffly and laid back against the exam chair as she instructed.