Ayla Tesler-Mabe: Close With The Rival

Y/n's POV

I sighed and got my piano set up so it was ready for my solo. The last two performers in the competition were myself and Calpurnia. My girlfriend Ayla was in the other group.

I sighed and read over the lyrics of the song I was covering. I looked over at Calpurnia. Ayla smiled at me softly. I blushed then grabbed my bag to grab a bright silver marker. I drew a small 256th tic on the top of my black piano showing this was my 256th time performing in all of my life with this piano. Since I was 8 I have been playing the piano. The announcer walked onto the stage and walked up to me asking "Are you ready to go?"

I nodded my head and he smiled. He ran over to the microphone in front of the curtain and yelled out "OKAY!" I looked at Ayla.

She quickly ran up and cupped my face saying "I've known you since we were 7... When we decided to join instrumental music lessons together. You've got this. Don't be anxious."

I giggled and said, "Don't worry, I'm not."

She ran off and I sat on the bench as the curtains opened and people cheered. I smirked and began the cover. "Impossible Year" by Panic At The Disco.

I let out every last emotion in my body.

"There's no sunshine.

This impossible year,

Only black days and sky grey,

And clouds full of fear,

And storms full of sorrow,

That won't disappear,

Just typhoons and monsoons,

This impossible year."

More emotion.

"There's no good times,

This impossible year,

Just a beachfront of bad blood,

And a coast that's unclear,

All the guests at the party,

They're so insincere,

They just intrude and exclude,

This impossible year."

More emotion.

"There's no you and me,

This impossible year,

Only heartache and heartbreak,

And gin made of tears,

The bitter pill I swallow,

The scars souvenir,

That tattoo, your last bruise,

This impossible year."

More emotion.

"There's never air to breathe,

There's never in-betweens,

These nightmares always hang on past the dream,

There's no sunshine,

There's no you and me,

There's no good times,

This impossible year"

I heard the cheers one last time before I stood up and wheeled my piano towards the side of the stage. The ramp in my line of sight. I went to push the 750-pound piece of art down the ramp but my hands slipped and I heard Ayla scream "JACK!" and then the piano stopped from falling down the whole ramp.

I got up and looked over the piano to see Jack Anderson keeping it still in the middle of the ramp. I smiled at him and said "thanks" before he helped me carefully roll the heavy instrument down the ramp.

He grabbed the side of the piano I was holding and Malcolm moved it down a little quicker with Jack. Ayla hugged me and said "So I guess... That's the performance and now we find out who won."

I sighed and Finn walked past me on to the stage, I followed while the other three walked behind me.

"And the winner is!" I was stood under a spotlight. Calpurnia under another. I pushed my hair back a bit knowing they would win, not only because they're good, but because they are performing with Finn Wolfhard.

The buzzer went off and the group next to me was screaming. I just laughed and clapped for them. Finn ran over and hugged me causing the others to follow after. I giggled and Ayla kissed my cheek.

 Ayla shoved $50 in my back pocket and whispered: "You're friends with the rival, you deserve this." as she walked away leaving Malcolm slapping my back as they walked away.