Finley Craig: Summer Camp

This is for @-LemonGirl

Finley's POV

Malcolm walked behind me pushing me to get to the large yellow school bus. "I'm not going," I say, turning around quickly.

"If you don't go to summer camp, you get your ass beat." I was super confused at his words, our parents have never laid a hand on us.

"What're you talking about?" I asked. He scoffed and pushed me again.

"Get on the bus, look, talk to her," he says while pointing at a girl who was being pushed by her parents. I sigh and smack his arm before running to the bus.

The bus driver was loading up those large storage units on the outside of the bus with our suitcases and bags. He had labelled each other them with our first and last names so we could retrieve them after. I waved at Malcolm as I climbed on the bus only to see him walking off with his boyfriend, Finn. (FUCK OFF!)

I sat down near the middle seats at a window. I stare out the window trying to avoid interaction with anyone. "Can I sit here?" I hear from my right.

I look up and see the girl from outside. I nod my head and say "Sure." She sits down and places her sweater on her lap. I face the window again.

The bus starts rumbling. I sit up but don't remove my gaze from the window. "There's a lot more people going to this camp than I thought there'd be," I hear the girl next to me say.

I look at her and decide to respond. "Yeah, I didn't want to go in the first place."

She seemed confused as she asked, "Why not?"

"Who wants to go to a camp with a bunch of other kids for a week?" I ask her. She sounded sad when she responded.

"I guess you're right," she says before looking down at her s/c hands.

"I didn't mean to come off mean, I just wished I could stay home for the summer, you know what I mean?" I ask. She looks at me so she can nod her head. I give her a sympathetic smile and look out the window again.

"Maybe we can hang out together when we're there," I hear her say. I can't help but smile. I face her and say, "I'd like that."

Throughout the week her and I had stuck together. Every game the group played she was either on my team or my partner.

We had left on Sunday and it was Wednesday now. "You like this camp now?" She asks me during a dinner break.

"Hm?" I ask while stuffing bacon into my mouth. She giggles and shakes her head.

"The camp. Do you like it now?" She asks. I swallow my meat while nodding my head quickly.