Malcolm Craig: Drummer Boy

For @famy_and_mari because they said I was good at Malcolm imagines, yay!

Malcolm's POV

I was on the school stage behind my three friends. The girl I liked sitting in the front row of chairs in the auditorium. The curtains had just opened. Finn looks back at me and gives me a thumbs up as a signal for me to be ready. I confirmed I was and Ayla started us up.

I had never actually spoken to Y/n. Y/n was the girl I liked. I only ever looked at her. A lot. I was just the little drummer boy for Calpurnia to her. That ended up only being what I THOUGHT I was to her.

She and her friends danced to us performing our song, "Waves" while I just stared. Like always. I had performed that song so many times I didn't even have to look at the drum set as I played.

We finished the song and the school applauds us. Jack, Ayla, Finn and the drummer boy.

Nobody really noticed me. That's when I realized what I must've been to Y/n. Finn walked over to me and said "You look sad, Malcolm? Are you alright?"

I nod my head slowly before I say "For sure, just... Nervous. That's all."

He laughs. "You have no reason to be nervous, you're the best," he smiles down at me. I smile sadly and nod my head emitting a small chuckle from my lungs.

"You sure that's all?" He asks me with actual worry showing on his face.

"Sure," I say. The look he gives me just says he's going to ask me again after the show.

We start the other song as I look up. Y/n is sitting there alone. I begin to hit the drum. I continue to stare at her with a small smile as if she'd even see me.

We're playing Louie now and she's still swaying in her seat. I smile down at her when I think she looks at me. She smiles and blush creeps across her face. I felt the same thing happen to my own cheeks.

After we had completed the performance I sat in the main area of the school. Finn walks over. "What was going on, dude?" He asks.

I shrug and say "I was just looking at Y/n again, realizing the zero chance I fucking have." He sighs.

"Listen, I think she's into you, dude." I looked at him after he said that with a look of disbelief. "She does! I really do think she likes you."

"I can only hope, dude," I say. I look at him, sadness evident in my face.

"Just go talk to her, Malcolm," he says.

I look around the main area and see her walk out with a bottle of water. "She's right there," I say.

He pushes me and I walk up to her. "Hey, Malcolm," She says.

"H-Hey!" I say with a humongous yet awkward smile spread across my face.

She called me by my name. Does that mean she sees me as someone other than "the drummer boy in Calpurnia"?

"You alright?" She asks.

"Did you say something?" I ask. She nods her head and giggles.

"Okay, do you want to hang out? My mom said to stay out tonight and I know we don't talk much but you seem really chill," she says. I nod my head slowly.

"Thanks and um... Sure! Can I just grab my stuff?" She giggles at my statement and nods her head, confirming I can go grab my stuff. I walk backstage and go up to Ayla with Jack. "Guys!" "Someone seems happy," Ayla says with a large smile.

"Okay! Okay... Listen..." I say, eager to tell them what I just did. They look at me with interest.
"Okay... I spoke to Y/n."

"SHIT!" Jack yells. Jack asks, "What did she say? What did you say?"

"Well, I'm hanging out with her so I have to go." They both looked shocked.

"Damn, no way," Ayla says but I walk away.

I smile at Y/n when I walk out. "Hey," I say. She smiles back and says she's ready to head out. After 12 minutes we arrived at my humble abode. I walked inside and she follows quietly. I start removing my shoes and she removes her own. "Come on," I say while dragging her to the couch in the living room. "Hungry?" I ask.

"Always," she giggles. I walk into the kitchen and pour the whole bag of all dressed Ruffles into a bowl. I walk over with it and hand it to her.

"Jesus, I didn't ask for a whole bowl of chips." I chuckle at her words.

"You didn't ask for anything, I just gave you the first thing I saw." I smile.

She nods her head and says "Alright, alright... You got me there." I chuckle.

"Good," I say.

She takes my phone from me and says "I do this thing with my friends, I go through their three most recent photos in the camera roll and I can know someone within that time. Lemme do it," she says.

I sign into my phone and she goes straight to my photo gallery. I chuckle as she opens the first album. "It's all just pictures of my band." She giggles and hands me back my phone on a picture of my little brother with me at the zoo. "Okay..."

"You're a family guy... You love your family. You'd do anything for them and music is a passion for you," I chuckle.

"Wow, um... Correct, and you're a girl that's really into snooping through someone's phone." I laugh at my own joke and she laughs after.

"I have a good feeling about this friendship," I say.