48. - Max Verstappen

Request from danricciardo3 , hope you like it!

---

"I'm home, babe! And I have something for you!"

Your heart started racing again when you heard his voice. Usually, your heart raced with happiness and excitement when he came home after a few days away. This time, it raced with anger.

You don't know how long you've been staring at this picture on your phone, minutes for sure, hours maybe. It disgusted you but you couldn't tear your eyes away. It was blurry, probably taken with a bad quality phone in the dark. Still, you could recognize him anywhere. His hair, his back, his arms, even from behind you knew it was your five-month boyfriend. Who you didn't recognize though, was the girl facing him, her body pushed against his, hands around his neck. One thing was sure, it wasn't you. Her long blond hair, her skinny dress and her flirty smile were not like you at all.

"I missed you, Y/N." Max leaned over the couch, where you were sitting, to kiss you on the lips. You avoided him and stood up, stepping away from his furrowed eyebrows. He didn't understand your reaction.

You handed him your phone, still locked on the picture of your boyfriend getting cosy with another girl. Your heart ached by just looking at him. You thought he loved you, you really did. Seems like he was just like every other men, in the end.

"Did you cheat on me?" Your voice broke at the end of your sentence. Max sighed when he looked at the picture. His hand scratching his neck showed how uncomfortable he was.

"Y/N this is not what it looks like."

"Have you not seen enough movies to know that's what every guilty cheater say?"

"I didn't cheat on you, I never would." He put the phone on the coffee table, locking the screen so that the awful picture would disappear.

"I thought you wouldn't, seems like I was wrong." You were holding back the tears hard now, not wanting to look weak in front of him. He's the one who messed up, he didn't deserve your tears.

"I didn't touch her. I pushed her away just after this picture was taken. You know she's not my type anyway."

"I don't know anything anymore." Your head fell, staring at your fingers nervously playing with each other. You couldn't bear to look at him any longer, all you saw were blond hair all over him.

Max tried to step closer to you but you stopped him with your hand. You heard him sigh and you were almost sure he was scratching the back of his neck again.

"Daniel and Pierre pushed me into her. Literally. She spent the night looking at us, I guess she knew who we were and wanted to take advantage of that in some way. They saw it and made me go to her. They said they didn't see me with a girl in a long time and thought I deserved to have some fun. I swear to you I left her as soon as they pushed me into her. You know I would never touch, or look at another woman. Deep down you know it."

It was true. You knew it. But who wouldn't have doubts? You didn't know Daniel and Pierre, but from what Max had told you, it was a classic move from them. His story was adding up. And you trusted him, of course you did. But this picture was only a symptom of a bigger problem in your relationship.

"We can't go on like this, Max." You sighed.

"Wh---What? I told you I didn't do anything. Believe me, Y/N!"

"I do, I believe you. But when's the next time Daniel and Pierre will try to match you up with another girl? Do you realize that two of your closest friends don't even know you have a girlfriend? We've been together for five months Max, and I love you, but I can't go on like this."

He stayed quiet so you continued, tears now rolling down your cheeks.

"I'm watching your races at home while I could be cheering you in your garage, I can't tell my friends and my family that I'm dating you, I can't post pictures of us anywhere, we can't go out together, and you can't even tell your friends you don't need a bloody one night stand with an Hungarian girl because you have a girlfriend waiting for you at home! I know you want to protect me, from the media, from the fans, from the pressure and everything. But I love you Max and I understand what dating you involves. I don't want to keep this secret anymore. You either have me every day and everywhere, or you don't have me at all."

Your mouth was dry when you finished talking. Your eyes were too, having cried so much in a small amount of time. You were tired of this situation, it needed to change. And if he couldn't understand that, then maybe you two weren't made for each other.

You turned around, ready to join your room, when you felt his fingers gently wrapping around your wrist.

"I told you I have something for you." He said with his voice full of emotions. What you told must have moved him.

He went to grab something in his coat that was hanging next to the door before standing in front of you. Your eyes fell on a paper slid into a transparent plastic, with an F1 string big enough to put around your neck. You took it into your hands to have a better look at it. It was a VIP access to the Belgian Grand Prix, coming in a month, after the summer break, wearing your name and your picture. He was inviting you to his home Grand Prix, where all his fans, family and friends would be.

"I asked my PR to make this as soon as I landed in Hungary. I realised I didn't want to spend another GP without you next to me. I'm sorry it took me so long to realize. I told Max and Pierre about you, by the way, just after I turned that girl down. They can't wait to meet you. And I know it will be overwhelming because there will be my whole family and some friends too, but I really want you to be cheering me in my garage in Belgium."

This was the best proof of love he could have given you.

Of course you accepted, and on the first day of practice, after some nice holidays spent together, you entered the paddock hand in hand, an orange cap with the number 33 staying proudly on your head.