4. - Daniel Ricciardo

For mrslautner__. Feeling really emotional right now! I don't really know why I wrote this, but it felt good to write something different for once. This was inspired by the song of the movie Now is good - if you haven't seen it, you definitely should! I have seen it years ago and see, it has still a big impact on me. Hope you'll like this! And if you watch the movie, please tell me what you think of it :)

---

It had been a couple amazing months for Daniel since he met you. He remembered your cute face, partly hidden under a beanie, when he had grabbed your arm, preventing you from falling on the ground. Your cheeks were red because of the cold and you had slipped on the frozen ground of Milton Keynes. He remembered how he had invited you to a coffee shop nearby spontaneously because he was somehow startled by you. The conversation you two had that day was the nicest Daniel had for a long time.

You managed to see each other often, most of the time in that nice coffee that became your favourite place. Daniel loved how he felt around you: warm and somehow important. He liked that you didn't treat him differently even though you knew he was a Formula 1 driver, and he liked that you made him feel like he mattered, not as a racing driver, but as a person.

Daniel texted and called every time he was away and you started to develop strong feelings for him. He had invited you to come with him to races but you always found an excuse, not having the strength to tell him the truth.

"Finally! I thought you had been taken by Martians or something." You exclaimed when Daniel entered the coffee shop. He was 20 minutes late, which was very unusual from him.

"Sorry, I got hold up at the factory." He sat down and the waitress brought your drinks that you had ordered before he arrived. Same as always. "God, I missed you, Y/N! 3 races in 3 weeks, that's a bit too much when my favourite person doesn't travel with me." Daniel grabbed your hand that was lying on the small table. He liked to touch people, but it always felt weird doing that with you. Probably because touching you meant a lot more than touching other people. He couldn't prevent himself this time though, and you both felt an electric current running through your bodies.

"Am I your favourite person, then?" You smirked.

"Of course you are! You know, this time apart, it got me thinking."

You nodded for him to continue after you licked some whipped cream on your upper lip. Daniel was nervous, you could feel it at the way his eyes were avoiding you. He didn't want to wait anymore. He was almost certain you liked him too, but he couldn't understand why you still acted hard to get. He liked that you weren't being an easy girl, of course, but he felt like missing time where both of you could be happy, together. He didn't want to lose time anymore.

"I don't want to be without you anymore. You know you're more than my best friend." His hand was gently playing with yours, your fingers intertwining, as your breath got stuck inside your throat. "I want to share your life, and I want you to share mine. Honestly, I don't know why we're still waiting, because every time I see you I want to hold you close, and every time I'm not with you I wish I was. So, how about tonight I take you out, as a date?"

His eyes were hopeful as they looked into yours. You almost nodded as a reflex, but you refrained yourself. You couldn't do that to him. You shouldn't have gotten close to him in the first place. He didn't deserve that. When you met him, you felt alive again, and egoistically, you let yourself fall for him. But he couldn't fall for you.

You had tears in your eyes as you knew what would come. You took your hand away from his and stood up, leaving your hot chocolate almost full on the table. You couldn't look into his eyes as you talked.