70. - Nico Hulkenberg

This is for PecanCookie ! Hope you'll like my tribute to Emmerich 😊

---

"My parents invited us over for dinner tonight." Nico finally told you. He had been weird the whole day, something clearly bothering him, but he hadn't said anything about it until now.

"That's very nice!"

"Yeah. But, you know... I don't want you to feel like you have to go." One of his hands was scratching the back of his neck in embarrassment and he was avoiding your eyes.

"You don't want me to see you parents?" This surprised you. "You do realize I already know them, right?"

"I know, I know. It's just that I know how they can be and I don't want you to run away. It took us literally years to be together and I don't want anyone to have a say in our relationship."

"No one will, believe me. Now, take me to your house, Nico."

---

You thought back to how everything started between you two. You were neighbours in Emmerich, Germany, when you were both kids. Your parents quickly became friends and so did you. Nico was like your big brother, always looking out for you at school. He was busy with racing but he always found time for you. When you were a teenager, your parents decided to move, your dad having a great job opportunity in England. It was tough to leave your city, your high school, your friends, and more importantly Nico. You kept in touch for a few months, sending each other letters, but they were getting rarer until one day, finally, you stopped writing back. There weren't the social media at that time and phone calls across Europe were so expensive that it was difficult to stay in touch.

After your studies, you got hired by the brand Infiniti as head of partnerships. You loved your job as it took you to different places in the world. Also, you were working closely with the Renault Formula 1 team, which gave you the opportunity to look after Nico from afar. He had succeeded in becoming a Formula 1 driver, which was all he could talk about when you were kids. You remembered him showing you around his room, telling you about each driver on the posters on his walls.

Until one day, where Infiniti sent you to France for a special promotion event with Renault during the French Grand Prix. Facing Nico after 10 years away from each other was a shock, for both of you. You had thought about how he would react at seeing you, you were scared he wouldn't even recognize you. But he did. As soon as his eyes laid on your figure, he couldn't look anywhere else. For a moment, he thought he was dreaming. He had imagined that moment so many times before!

"Hallo Nico." There was no doubt anymore once he heard your voice. It was the exact same one his best friend had. The same small smile, too. He couldn't believe you were there, in front of him, and he couldn't believe you were so different yet the exact same he knew.

"Y/N?" He asked and you nodded in confirmation. It didn't take long for him to hold you tight into his arms. Everyone in the garage was looking at you interrogatively, waiting for Nico to enter the Infiniti car for a couple of hot laps to promote the brand.

It was all talks, smiles and laughs after that. You spent the weekend glued to his hip as he made sure you were always by his side. He said he lost you before, so now he wanted to make sure you wouldn't leave again. You didn't mind, though. You had missed him so much it hurt. And 10 years later, your friendship was the exact same one as when you were teenagers.

Except for one thing. You were grown-ups now and feelings got in the way. Nico was the first one to confess how he felt for you and you did too, not so long after. You never thought about him that way when you were kids, but after being apart for 10 years it felt like an evidence.

---

Nico took the car to drive to Emmerich, to his family house. You hadn't been there since you left for England so you were a bit emotional. Still, you felt like everything was the exact same as you remembered.

"Y/N, dear, I'm so happy to see you!" Nico's mother hugged you as soon as she opened the door, not even looking at her son. You used to like her a lot when you were a kid.

"Happy to see you too, Frau Hulkenberg!"

Nico had told his parents that you were dating as soon as it happened. To say they were over the moon was an understatement. They always liked you.

"I was sure this would happen someday! You two used to be inseparable. I never saw Nico acting with a girl like he acts with you." Nico's mother exclaimed after her husband gave you a glass of wine.

Nico was watching you interact with his parents. He held such an admiring stare! Once in a while, he would give you a small kiss or play with your hair. Sometimes, you would link your fingers through his to feel his touch. You quickly found out in your relationship you couldn't stay away from each other for long. Seeing their son so happy only confirmed to his parents that you were the woman he loved, more than he had ever loved someone.

That night, in Emmerich, you felt at home. You found yourself thinking about your 17 years old self. How much she had grown up. Emmerich would always hold a special place in your heart. This was the city where you met the most wonderful boy. Being away from each other was tough. But deep down you always knew that life had separated you so you could meet again someday.