/30/

Ewe, I have school Monday.

xBreHoran😁

______________________

/30/

"Happy birthday, Joey," I said as I stare at the night sky. Not a star was in sight and it was just Christmas Eve. I'm pretty sure everyone in the house is asleep, that would only make sense since it was 12 in the morning.

Madeleine was awake though.

She's right here beside me actually. I called her sometime in the last two hours, crying, asking her if she could come over. Blair needed sleep and I wouldn't dare wake Harmony up at this hour; Aliby is five so that wasn't an option to wake her up this early, or late I should say since I woke up and never went back to sleep.

I felt Madeline wrap an arm around me, "she's so proud of you, Edward."

I scoffed. "For what?"

"For how brave you are, how successful you became, how you took care of her," she listed. "You need to start giving yourself credit, Ed. It wasn't your fault."

"But if I had just stopped, stopped focusing on myself and pay attention to my family I would've known. I could've made her last few days memorable at least."

"Things like this happen for a reason. It's not like she just gave up. Think of how much better she's feeling. She isn't hurting anymore."

"But it's not fair. She was such a great person. She never did anything wrong," I cried, leaning my head back on the patio chair. A few tears escaped my eyes but I just wiped them away.

"Hey," Madeline said turning my face to her, "sometimes the worst things in life come free to us."

I sent her a small smile and nodded, "sorry for calling you over so early."

"It's fine. This is what friends are for. Plus, when was the last time I saw you in person?"

"Ages ago," I replied with a wide smile. Madeline was really an a-list person and I'm very grateful to have her as a friend.

~

I woke up the next morning to someone bouncing up and down on my lap. There's only one person that would be.

"Daddy, daddy, it's Christmas Eve! Wake up!" I opened one eye, smiling at her, and closed it back, fake snoring loudly. She giggled. "I know you aren't sleeping."

"Who dare interrupt my sleep?" I said squinting at the five year old.

"Aliby-Wren. Now get up old man!"

"Aye, I'm not old," I protested.

"I don't know," said a familiar voice behind me, "you're pretty old to me."

I looked back to Blair and smiled. "Looks like you feel in love with an old man then."

"Looks like I did," she smiled, bending slightly to peck my lips.

"Can you guys do that later after you make me some hotcakes? I'm starving over here," Aliby exclaimed, flailing her arms.

"Okay, okay sassy pants. We can make some of nan's cinnamon hotcakes."

"Yes! Those are my favourite! I'm gonna go get the bowel!" She yelled hopping off my legs, running from the patio.

"Aliby, stop running! Don't touch anything sharp or hot! Ask your sister for help!" I yelled after her, but I doubt she heard a word I said.