40

40/last chapter

/Blair's POV/

I held tightly onto Fletcher's hand and walked behind Aliby who held onto her little brothers, Flynn and Fisher's, hands. The place was packed to say the least. It was more of an open invite thing; only reserved seats for Edward's family and close friends.

When we found our spot Madeline was the first to squeeze Fletcher tightly. She picked him up and he laid his head on her shoulder.

"He couldn't sleep could he?" She asked.

With the birth of Fletcher there had came complications; not only had he gone deaf a month after birth, but he'd taken up in Edward's disorders. Including insomnia and OCD, and a mild case of bipolar disorder. I love him all the same, just like his father.

"No. We watched some movies and played a couple video games."

She nodded and cuddled Fletcher, walking to her seat. To say the Styles kids are spoiled is a complete understatement. That's how Edward wanted it though.

"Hey Blair," I turned to see Steven. Steven Dews.

"Umm yeah, why are you here?"

"Sending my best wishes to the family. As shitty as I treated him, Edward was a good man."

"Yeah..."

"I'll see you around."

"Mhm."

I turned when there was a tug on my dress from Aliby. She pointed to the stage and took a seat. The show was starting. I sat down; Fletcher, Fisher, and Flynn sat in three seats in front of me, occupying themselves with their iPods. I wasn't kidding when I said they were spoiled.

"Welcome ladies and gents to the 100th annual Brit Awards. I'm your host Olly Murs, but that's not important. Tonight is about one of the most honourable men of our time. Ladies and gentlemen let's all stand and present the first award, the Dick Clark award of Excellence, Achievement, Honourablity, and Nobility to the late Edward Styles."

As one of Edward's service photos appeared on the screen I smiled and started towards the stage; my children in tow; all six of them. With a peck on the cheek, Olly handed me Edward's award.

"Hi," I heard Harmony spoke. "I believe my father's first words when he'd every receive an award was always how thankful he was to have such a great life, great supports, and the opportunity to give back to the people who supported him. And if he was here now," she choked, wiping the tears off her face, "all he could say is thank you."

Jean hugged her tightly and I spoke next. "Over the past five years I've learned that honour and pride are something you're born with. That all you have to do is to maintain it, to keep it up, and my husband did that. I'm not up here to give a sappy speech about what a great man he was, because we all know he was, or to cry over how much I miss him. I'm here to represent him and to let his spirit live on through music, through his home and through his sons. It's not easy without him, no, but he wouldn't want me upset, or sad, and I'm doing that, for Edward."

They clapped and I smiled.

"Edward went to his grave with honour, pride, and love. He was a man with a big heart and a great soul. I don't think anyone could ever forget him."

-

"Ladies and gentlemen. We want to end the night with a thank you and we have one more special performance from Edward Styles."

I sunk into my seat, holding back tears as a video of Edward popped up. He look beautiful as usual. Clean cut, long hair pulled into a bun, some falling out the sides, military sand-ish/brown shirt, camouflage trousers and his military boots. They must've recorded this before he left.

When your legs don't work like they used to before, and I can't sweep you off of your feet...

I felt my eyebrows dip. I've never heard this one before.

Will your mouth still remember the taste of my love? Will your eyes still smile from your cheeks? And darling I will be lovin' you 'til we're seventy...

I smiled watching as Edward sung his heart out. He was always so passionate with his music, and just any music in general, because he believes it all has a meaning. Every note in the bass rift on the background to the person singing.

When my hands don't play the strings the same way, mm, I know you will still love me the same.

My eyes widened when I saw Harmony show on the screen. And I don't mean sixteen year old Harmony. I mean 21 year old Harmony as of today, a guitar in her grasp. I saw Cristen on the drum set and I nearly puked when the screen came up and Edward came out.

/Edward's POV/

I'm thinkin' 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious way. Maybe it's all part of a plan. Well I'll just keep on making the same mistakes, hopin' that you'll understand...

That, baby, now, take me into your loving arms, kiss me under the light of a thousand stars, place your hand on my beating heart. I'm thinking out loud. Maybe we found love right where we are, oh.

During Harmony's guitar solo, Blair was escorted up onto the stage. She quickly shuffled into my arms, burying her face into my chest as she cried.

So, baby, now, take me into your lovin' arms. Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars. Oh darlin', place your hand on my beatin' heart. I'm thinkin' out loud that maybe we found love right where we are. And, baby, we found love right where we are. And we found love right where we are.

I wrapped my arms around Blair tightly, kissing the top of her head. She didn't seem to want to let me go, which was completely understandable.

"Hello," I said into the mic. Some people in the crowd look at me in surprise, others with knowing looks. "I just want to say thank you to everyone here. I couldn't imagine ever being up on this stage and receiving such a high offering award. It's incredible that I'm here today and I honestly don't think I could say thank you enough for all the love and support I've received throughout my music career, my army career and my life in general. Just a massive thank you to you all."

"Mr Styles, how are you?" asked Olly.

"Well, tired, for sure. I just got off a twenty-six hour flight with no sleep, but I'm happy to be home." I turned my attention to Blair, whose head was still in my shirt. "Are you happy I'm home?"

She nodded into the shirt, holding me tighter. Olly and a few other laughed. "I don't think she's letting up anytime soon."

"Neither do I," I smiled, "but that's okay. It's been a long five years."

"That it has."

"Daddy!"

I turned my head to find three curly headed boys running in my direction. Followed by a little girl, Harmony, and Jean.

"Hey!" I said, excited to see them, bending on my knees. "Haven't seen you boys since you were wee little babies."

"We missed you, daddy," said Flynn as his arms wrapped around my neck. I kissed his head.

"I missed you lot, too."

Fletcher was last to approach me. He had a small black object in his hand. I wrapped it around his ear, clicking it on.

"Better?"

"Da-he!" he yelled tackling me in a hug. I chuckled and hugged him back, but soon three other bodies were on top of me. Three curly heads and Aliby.

When I finally got up, I hugged Jean tightly, placing a kiss on her head as well as Harmony. I went back over to Blair and she smiled up at me.

"Okay?" I asked, with a smile, my hands gently on her waist.

She nodded, her hands on my cheeks as she pulled me in for a kiss. Of course there was hooting and cheering (ewe-ing from the boys), but like I've said before, Blair was what mattered.

Before we left the stage I grabbed the mic one last time.

"My parents, great people they are, taught me that almost is never enough. But I learned that almost is just right," I said, smiling at Blair, "when you've got the right person by your side."

fin.