Tattoo

Y/F/N = Your friend's name

Y/C/W/N = Your co-worker's name

"Are you sure about this Y/N?" My friend Y/F/N asks for what feels like the hundredth time. "I mean, it is permanent. You'll have it with you for the rest of your life."

"Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what permanent means, Y/F/N." I roll my eyes and chuckle. She's been on my case for weeks now. "And besides, you know I've always wanted a tattoo. The stories behind them, I'm always fascinated by it. I want a story of my own and with everything that has changed and gone on lately, I think now is as good a time as any to get one." Y/F/N looks as me wearily.

"Okay, only if your sure." I nod, making her sigh.

Last year my mother passed away due to cancer. Life has been difficult without her but at least she is no longer suffering. That's why I'm getting the tattoo today, as a tribute to her. "I'm not coming with you." Y/F/N says. "You know how much I hate needles."

"I never expected you to come with me." We stop outside the place where I'm getting my tattoo.
"Where did you even hear about this place anyway?"

"A coworker says she knows a guy who works here, says he's really good. So I'm giving it a shot."

"Okay, well, bye. Have fun getting stabbed thousands of times with a needle." Y/F/N races away, and I look at the building. It's now or never.

I walk into the shop and am immediately greeted by the smell of sterile products, which is a good thing, and a tall, blonde haired, green eyed attractive guy at the counter.

"You must be Y/N?" I nod, my words not seeming to come to me. "I'm Ben, you'll be with me today. I got the design you wanted through email, and I say it shouldn't take longer than a couple of hours. Come on through." He leads me behind the counter and brings me to the seat, setting himself up to get ready. "So, Y/N. I've heard a lot about you from my friend at your work." He says while applying the stencil on my arm.

"I hope it's all good things. But if it's coming from Y/C/W/N, it most likely isn't." I say and we both laugh.

"I say it's good stuff." He sends me a smile as he starts the tattoo. "I heard that you hid a plastic cockroach in Y/C/W/N's paper work and she lost her mind when she found it." I laugh at the fond memory. By lost it, she threw all of the paper work onto the ground and jumped onto her chair, screaming.

"Yeah, she was not happy with me, but she got me back for that." He leans in closer to listen to me as he works, the fine lines of the tattoo appearing on my skin. "She ended up putting a fake rat, which also squeaks, under my desk in a way she knew I wouldn't see it, until later on."

He laughs, making sure to keep the needle away from my skin as he does. "How did you react to that?"

"I fell off my chair trying to get away from it." We talk the whole time that he does my tattoo, allowing me to hardly notice the pinching pain. Time seems to fly by, the conversations never dying. I'm enjoying my time with Ben. He's funny and kind. And he has given me the perfect tattoo. I look down at the finished product. The face of the lion staring up at me in beautiful detail.

"Wow." I breath out, emotions whirling through me. I look up at Ben to see him smile at me. "It's perfect. Thank you so much."

"I'm glad you like it. Can I ask, what is the meaning behind this tattoo?" I smile and look back down at the lion.
"It's for my mum. It shows how brave and strong she was during her fight of cancer." I look back up to see the smile still on his face.

"I'm so sorry for your loss", he says, making me smiling weakly at him.

I'm about to leave after paying for the tattoo, when he stops me.

"Y/N, I hope I'm not being too forward here, but, would you want to grab dinner some time?" I look at him, surprised before I start smiling widely at him.

"Yeah, that would be great. When we're you thinking?"

"How about tonight? I could pick you up at 7?"

"That sounds perfect."