You are my Worst Enemy - AU

"Watch where your going, Loser." Abby says after pushing me into my locker.

"I'm sorry for standing in front of my locker. It must have been really hard not to hit somebody who wasn't moving." I snap back, immediately shocked at what I just said. I don't usually speak out. This is unfamiliar territory, but it feels good. She turns back around to go after me, only to be held back by Ben grabbing her arm.

"You better watch you back, bitch." She says before walking away.

Abby Wilson, the school's bad-ass mean girl who always seems to get what she wants by physically bullying others and gets away with it. The only reason why she came onto anyone's radar to begin with was because she was seen hanging out with Ben Hardy. He's the star soccer player whose looks make nearly every girl and boy want to submit to him, sexually and otherwise. But not me. He's a complete asshole to me and would need a personality change in order for him to become sexy in my eyes.

I slam my locker shut and make my way into my first class, French, which I conveniently share with Ben. Seeing the glare he's sending my way, I know he want's to say something to me. I sigh and head over to my desk. Let's get today's worth of torturing over with.

Ben moves to stand in front of my desk, laying his hand on it so he looms over me so that all I can do is look up at him.

"You shouldn't have said what you said to Abby." He says in a low voice.

"Well, your girlfriend shouldn't have pushed me into the lockers." I say with snark and he looks at me momentarily with surprise before covering it back with anger.

"She's not my girlfriend." Is the first thing he says, which takes me by surprise. "Everyone thinks we're dating, but we're not. And you need to go back to keeping your mouth shut, or she's just going to keep coming after you, worse than before." I roll my eyes.

"I used to keep quiet, and that didn't work. So now I'm not going to keep quiet with her and I am definitely not going to keep quiet with you." I pause to take a breath, calming my nerves and anger as I narrow my eyes at Ben. "Now, are you going to leave back to your desk voluntarily, or do I have to make you leave?" He looks at me with anger and another emotion glistening in his eyes for a while, long enough to make me want to squirm in my seat, before he walks back to his desk.

That went better than I thought it would.

****************************

The bullying by Abby within a couple of weeks had begun to stop as she was hardly saying anything to me anymore. She only occasionally pushed me into the lockers or gave me glares, which is her normal facial expression. Instead, Ben was starting to take her place in saying nasty things to me, which I never thought he would actually do. Yeah, it sucked that he just let Abby pick on me, but I never thought he would take part. He just didn't seem like that type of guy. But I guess he is.

I got so pissed off at him that one day I just snapped at him in the middle of a crowded hall way; "What the fuck, Ben! What have I ever done to you to make you treat me like this?" I yell, making people stop and look at us to watch the drama unfold, including Abby.

"Nothing." He shrugs.

"Nothing." I repeat. "Then why the hell are you treating me like this?" Ben starts walking towards me and, feeling my heart race, I take a couple of steps back thinking I've over stepped my boundaries. Before I knew what he was doing, he kisses me on the lips, causing a few people in the hall to gasp, including me. He breaks away and looks me in the eyes. I finally figured out what that mysterious expression is in his eyes. Affection. But why?

"Wait," somebody says in the crowd, and I turn to look at Abby and the crowd. "I thought Ben was dating Abby."

"Ew, dude, gross. I like girls, not dicks." Abby says, crossing her arms.

"That makes a lot of sense." The dude from the crowd says.

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

"I mean - it's just that - your angry all the time."

"I'm going to pretend like you didn't just fucking say that." Abby sighs angrily, moving on her feet before she snaps one last time; "I'm angry, not because I'm a lesbian, but because I just hate people. People suck." Abby struts away, disappearing into the crowd and I turn back to Ben.

"So, you bullied me because you liked me? Isn't that a pre-school thing?"

"Maybe. Yeah, a little." He replies, growing more uncomfortable under my gaze by the second.

"If you want to win me over, then your going to have to try another method."

"Like what?" He asks as I begin to walk away.

"Oh, I don't know, how about being nice? Some girls like that too."