Meeting the Parents

Y/M/N = Your Mum's name.

Y/D/N - Your Dad's name.

"Ben, you'll be fine." I say to him as we walk down the path towards my parent's house. "They'll love you." I can tell by the anxious look on Ben's face, that was the wrong thing to say.

"How would you know that, though?" I grab hold of his hand, making him stop to turn around to face me, but he refuses to look at me.

"Because I love you, Ben." I grab hold of his face, making him look me in the eyes. He has to get this message in order to calm down. I really want today to go well. "They will love you because I love you. They won't love you the same way I do, that would be weird. But, my parent's know that because I don't trust others easily, the guy who was able to gain my trust this much has got to be special. Trust me, just be yourself. They'll love you for it." I kiss him on the lips before looking him in the eyes once again, letting go of his face. He nods, sighing and seemingly relaxing.

We start walking again, hands intertwined until we stop outside my parent's front door and I quickly knock so Ben doesn't have anther freak out. Or maybe it's so I don't start freaking out. Either way, it's best just to get this over with. The door suddenly opens to reveal my mum, smiling widely at us.

"Y/N, sweetheart, you've finally come to visit us." She says enthusiastically, bringing me into a crushing hug before stepping aside, letting us into my childhood home. Nothing has really changed at all here. It's kind of refreshing seeing as everything else seems to change rapidly. "And you must be Ben." She quickly wraps him in a hug before he could say anything and lets go before he could react. "I've heard so much about you, like, so much." Ben looks at me in confusion.

"Yeah, I might have told her everything when I first met you. I wasn't sure what to do." I said, my cheeks heating up.

"In other words, I was her wing-woman. You snatched a handsome one, Y/N. Good on you." Oh-my-gosh, this is going to be worse for me than it will be on him.

"Umm, thank you." Ben stutters. "It's nice to meet you, Mrs Y/L/N."

"Honey, this family never uses formalities like that, call me Y/M/N." Ben nods and my Dad rounds the corner, seemingly in a rush.

"Sorry, I was just out the back dealing with the garden. So, you must be the man who stole my daughter away from me. Ben, right?" Dad stretches out a hand and Ben tensely shakes it.

"Y-Yes sir." He stutters.

"Don't look so worried, Ben. I'm glad you did. Y/M/N and I may actually have a chance to be alive to see our grandchildren in the future. And call me Y/D/N, none of that sir shit."

"Oh-my-god." I say in full embarrassment. It's only been 2 minutes and they're already talking about children. "You're going to scare him off if this is the conversation route we've decided to take."

"What are you talking about?" Dad laughs. "He's stayed with you this long, hasn't he? We should be no problem."

"Oh yes, you guys are such a breath of fresh air." I say sarcastically through a laugh. Man, I've missed my conversations with Dad, but then again, it's super embarrassing in front of Ben right now. Luckily my mum comes in to save the day.

"Who's hungry?"

************

"Wait, she walked right into it?" Ben asks, trying and failing to stop himself from laughing.

"Yep, right into the door frame." Mum says. "She even apologized to the door frame." My family crack up laughing and even I struggle to compose myself as I say;

"There is nothing wrong with apologizing and it was such a good book, I didn't want to put it down."

"Even if it mean't hurting yourself by walking into things?" Ben asks, putting his hand on my knee under the table.

"It was so worth it." I say, making everyone laugh again. I look at my watch to check the time. "It's really getting late now. We better get going, Ben. I have to get up early for work tomorrow." We all stand up from the table, and like a herd, walk together towards the front door, stopping to converse a little longer.

"It was so lovely to meet you, Ben." Mum says, enveloping him in a hug before breaking away. Her hugs never seem to last very long. "You two need to come and visit us more often. I'm going insane seeing Y/D/N's face everyday."

"Anyone would." I reply making Mum and Ben laugh while Dad acts hurt.

"I'll have you know, a lot of people find my face pleasant enough, thank you very much." After another handshake between Dad and Ben, Ben and I head out the front door and down the street towards our car, once again hand in hand.

"I told you they'd love you. You did great." I say as I look up at him.

"Thanks, I'm just glad you were there." He kisses the back of my hand. "They seemed very welcoming."

"Like dad said earlier, he wants his grand-kids."

I am so sorry for the late update. Things have been busy and will continue to be busy for a little bit. I'll try and update as much as possible. Thank you!