Puppy Play Date

REQUESTED

"Are you ready?" I say in an almost baby voice to my puppy, Harry. The only reason I named him Harry was not because I'm obsessed with Harry Potter or Prince Harry, but because the fur on Harry's head is shaped like a lightning bolt, so it was the most logical name. Okay, maybe I am obsessed with Harry Potter, but my dog honestly so adorable too, so why not? He also get's super excited, like right now, when I pull out his lead and ball. He starts jumping around me, not letting his paws touch the ground for even a second, until I say 'sit', and he's suddenly calm and ready to get going. It never fails to make me laugh.

But seeing as he's only a puppy, he likes to pull his lead whenever we're out walking, basically trying to take me for a walk instead. It's going to take me a while to try and teach him not to do that. Once we get to the park, I let him off his lead and he starts running and jumping around me, already knowing what's going to happen next.

I throw the ball. Once he's got it, he decides to run back with it, but not back to me. "Harry!" I call out, but instead he drops the ball at another guy's feet beside his dog and looks at him expectantly. I sigh and run up to him. "Harry, your supposed to bring the ball back to me. I thought we went over this already." The guy laughs as I pick up the ball. I look up at him and immediately feel myself blush. Really Harry? You just had to choose a hot guy to stop in front of this time. "I'm sorry about that, I'm still trying to teach him not to do that." I say as I stand back up.

"Oh, it's fine." He says with a bright smile and a smooth voice. "It took me a while to teach Frankie here too. But you get there." We stand there smiling at one another before I find his gaze is getting too much for my beating heart and I have to look away. I choose instead to throw the ball, which both Frankie and Harry chase after. "I'm Ben." He says after a moment of silence, holding out a hand which I accept and shake.

"Y/N." Before I am able to let go, he moves my hand up to his lips and kisses the back of my hand, making me blush a deeper shade of red. How is a guy already so much better than any other guy and yet I've only met him a couple of minutes ago. "So, what do you do with... Harry was it?"

"Yeah, we usually throw the ball around for a bit before we go for a light jog."

"Great, well I was about to go for a jog with Frankie if you want to join?"

I smile up at him, feeling my heart race. "I wouldn't mind that. And by the looks of it, neither would Harry." I nod towards Harry and Frankie who are rolling around, play fighting to see who would get the ball. "Shall we get going, then?" Ben smiles, looking down shyly before I start to run, calling Harry to come and jog with me with the ball in his mouth. Ben soon falls into step beside me with Frankie close to him.

Frankie and Harry weave their way around each other ahead of us as we run the track around the park. Ben and I don't talk, but I don't mind as I keep sneaking glances at him at moments. The way he runs, he definitely has complete control of his body, but I also can't help but check out his muscles as well. He definitely looks after himself. But that's not the only thing I notice. His facial features while are super strong and sharp, shows a kindness which I haven't seen in such a long time.

I get so caught up in his features though, I don't see Harry and Frankie start to play fight right beside me. They get so rowdy that they end up falling into my legs, pushing me into Ben, making me lose my balance. I try and grab hold of Ben to stop myself from falling, but I end up making him fall down as well, on top of me. I take a second to catch my breath before I realized what happened.

"I'm so sorry, Ben." He laughs but doesn't move, so I look at him in the eyes to see him staring at me with an unfamiliar look in his eyes, before he seemingly snaps out of it.

"It's fine, I'm sorry for falling on top of you. I should probably get up now." I laugh as he scrambles, before holding out a hand, which I accept, helping me back up. I dust myself off and see Harry and Frankie looking at us with their tongues hanging out with giant smiles on their faces. I look back at Ben.

"I think they're trouble together." I laugh.

"Yeah, but they also might be great together." He says and I can't help but think there is an underlying meaning to his words. "Can I take you out for coffee after this to get to know you better? Perhaps maybe as a date?" He scratches the back of his neck and shifts on his feet nervously, making me smile brightly. I guess I have Harry and Frankie to thank for this.

"I'd love to have a coffee date with you."