Christmas with the Family

I couldn't find a Christmas photo, but when I found this one, I had to use it. Its so cute.

Ben and I are sitting beside the Christmas tree on the couch, the presents below us lay unwrapped, instead Ben and I are wrapped in each others embrace.

"Our first Christmas together since our marriage." I say, snuggling closer into his side. "Time really does fly, doesn't it?"

"Yeah and there will be more in the future." He mumbles in reply and we go back into comfortable silence. I'm so close to falling asleep when I feel Ben shift from under me. "Y/N, I think we need to get ready to go to my parents place. Our family would most likely be waiting for us if we don't get going soon."

"Wait," I quickly say, pushing him back down onto the couch. "There is something else that I want to give you before we go. Wait here." I quickly get up, ignoring the butterflies in my stomach as I go into our bedroom and grab the present from the wardrobe. Before I head back to him, I stand there for a little while longer, trying to calm my breathing. You can do this Y/N. You can't keep this to yourself any longer.

I head back to where Ben is with the present behind my back and he looks at me curiously. I take a seat beside him and hand him the present in a way that I hope looked normal and not suspicious. Great, now I'm analyzing my movements.

"Y/N, I thought we only agreed on a certain amount of presents?" He asks, holding the present loosely in his hands.

"Don't worry about it. Open it." I say with a smile and my heart starts pounding in my chest.

He opens it slowly, maybe a little too slow for my preference, but once he opens it, he stares down at the contents in shock.

"Does this mean what I think it means?" He asks, holding up the baby booties. "Are we going to have a baby?" I nod my head as an answer, unable to speak the words. He brings me into a close hug, peppering my cheek and neck with kisses. Well, I guess he's happy about the news. "How far along is the baby?" He asks into my neck.

"The doctor said around six weeks."

"I can't believe it." Ben lets go of me and looks me in the eyes, smiling brightly. "We're going to have a baby. There's going to be another member in the family!"

"Speaking of family, we should probably head to your parent's place now because we are definitely going to be late." But before I can get up, Ben pulls me into an earth shattering kiss.

"Can I be the one to tell the news to our families tonight?"

"Of course." I guess that means there will be another announcement today.

********************

Ben and I are sitting at the table for dinner, joined by the whole family, including aunties, uncles and cousins. I've had to keep denying drinks from Ben's mother throughout the night, and I'm pretty sure she is beginning to get suspicious. After all, it's Christmas, why wouldn't I be drinking? My parents are completely oblivious, which I couldn't be more grateful for. We don't need everybody know before Ben makes the announcement. I just wish he'd tell them soon. I'm starting to get very anxious just waiting here.

But finally the time comes as everyone is finished dinner and is in a relaxed, happy mood.

"Hey everyone." Ben says moving towards the door to get the family's attention, before he brings me up to stand beside him. "We've got an announcement that we want to make."

"Another one?" My uncle speaks up. "Very soon it'll become a Christmas tradition that you guys make an announcement. First it was 'we're moving in together', then it was 'we're getting married.' What is it now? You're getting divorced? You're pregnant? You're going on holiday?"

Ben scratches the back of his neck before he carries on talking. "Actually, you got one of those assumptions correct." He pulls me closer, hugging me from the side. "We're having a baby."

It's silent for a while before all hell breaks loose. Family members are coming up to hug and congratulate us, and asking us how far along I am into the pregnancy. It's starting to get a little too hectic for me when my mother announces desert is ready, causing everybody to disperse to get the food.

Yep, I'm definitely looking forward to this child being welcomed into the family.