I'm in love with you

REQUESTED

I fell in love with Ben as soon as I met him. I mean, how could I not? With his charming smile, his bright green eyes and the charismatic way he presented himself, it's enough to make any girl fall head over heels. Not only that, throughout the whole friendship, he's been a gentleman as well as deviously hilarious and also a great listener and supporter so that didn't make my feelings of love for him slow down, at all. It all made me so excited at just the thought that I'd get to see him again. It was actually torture just being his friend when I wanted so much more. I really started to rely on him.

But then he just suddenly stopped being there. At first, he would just cancel plans or give excuses for why we can't meet up. Then he stopped calling and texting me so it felt like he wasn't even in my life at all. I didn't even know why, either. At first I was worried about him, but then new thoughts started bouncing around in my head. Was it my fault? Did I do something wrong to make him stop talking to me? Maybe he just didn't like me as much as what I thought? I got a little depressed with thinking all of this.

I checked my phone frequently to see if I had a message from him. I stopped going out with my friend's as much. I stopped eating three meals a day, cutting it down. I hardly talked to anyone until one day it started getting easier to without him. I know it sounds like he died, but in my mind, he did. Day by day, with the help of my friends and family I started to get back to how I was before.

I adopted a new kitten from the pound and named her Delilah. I got a new job at the publishing company, which I love. I made new friends from said job, Angela and Jacob, and I've the happiest I've been in such a long time. I've even started going out more, which I'm doing right now. Sitting in the familiar pub with Jacob and his boyfriend Glenn is something I didn't realize I missed until now, even though I am basically the third wheel.

But it all started going down hill again when Glenn left to go get us more drinks, leaving Jacob and I talking and laughing when someone approached us.

"So, I see you've found yourself a boyfriend." The familiar voice says and I quickly look up in shock to see Ben standing there, his jaw tight and a drink in his hand.

"Ben?" I say at the same time Jacob says; "I'm sorry?"

"It's not like you to ever be without a man on your arm." He says snarkily and months worth of pain and hurt, which had taken so long to heal, comes rushing back into one emotion; anger.

"Excuse me?" My hand holds onto my nearly empty cup with a death grip.

"Yeah, man, we're not dating." Jacob says, trying to defuse the tension.

"He's dating me." Glenn speaks up from behind Ben, making him look at him in shock before returning to his tight jawed expression as Glenn sits the drinks down in front of us.

"Well, then Y/N, you really need to find more friends of your own gender. People will start assuming things." I seriously can't believe what I am hearing right now.

"Excuse me?" I say once again, standing up so that I'm facing Ben , unable to control my anger at him anymore. "How fucking dare you! After all this time of you ignoring me, not seeing or talking to me, what gives you the right to start judging who I should and shouldn't be friends with?" I'm definitely gaining some attention, but right now, I don't care.

"I don't, but-uh..."

"But what?" I snap and a sad expression takes over his face.

"I'm in love with you, Y/N." Out of everything I thought he was going to say, that was not one of them. "I have since the first time I saw you." His voice is softer, more vulnerable, making my anger diminish, just a little.

"You've sure got a great way of showing it. Why didn't you say so earlier."

"Because I thought you were way out of my league." I sigh, releasing the anger and the hurt and pain replaces it, making my heart ache.

"Well, I never was, Ben, because I was in love with you too." A flash of happiness crosses his features until he realizes what I just said and his features deflate.

"Was?"

"Yeah. Was. You had your chance Ben, but instead you made me feel worthless and like I had done something wrong. It took me ages, months actually, to heal from you suddenly leaving me. Now it's my turn to leave." Ignoring Ben and turning to Jacob and Glenn, I say; "I'm sorry boys, but we'll have to pick this up another time" before walking out with my head held high, feeling stronger than ever with a sense closure and I go back home to Delilah.

I know this request was asked to have Ben and Y/N end up together, I'm sorry, but I just didn't see that happening that way after everything, even if it broke my heart to write. But I hope you all still enjoyed it!